June 15, 2006

Baked Fish

One thing I really miss about India is the fish. Yes, I am a Bengali if that's what you're thinking! I love my Ilish, Rui, Bhetki, Pompfret, and everything else.

When I came to the US, I was hesitant about cooking fish, unsure about how it will taste, smell and feel. My adventures started slowly after eating fish at other friend's homes first. I started with Shrimps, Tilapia, Catfish and slowly I was begining to experiment myself shedding my inhibitions.

So, when my friend U and I saw fresh fish in the market, we grabbed the last two pieces. Thinking of things to make, I decided to bake it. U suggested mint marinade paste and I added the tomatoes. The result was delicious.

Here is the recipe.
Ingredients:
1 Fish (it can be cooked whole, fillets or cut in pieces)
3-4 springs of mint (you can make it a mix of mint and cilantro)
7-8 grape tomatoes (you can make it 1 plum tomato)
1 clove Garlic
1 red Chilli
1 Tspoon Honey
1/2 Tspoon Basil (fresh basil is even better)
1/2 Tspoon Lemon Juice
1/4 Tspoon Turmeric powder
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Method:
Mix the fish with salt, turmeric and lemon juice. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, grind all the ingredients to a rough paste.
Mix the marinade paste well with the fish and let it sit for atleast a couple of hours.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Bake the fish for 20-25 minutes.
Serve it hot.My favorite combination is rice, dal and fish.

3 comments:

  1. Looks soooo good:) personally, I like my either the way you make it, or fried on the pan.. somehow when I am scared to bake fish myself...worry that I will ruin it..

    U (know who:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks U for the idea.. it tasted delicious. Next time, it's your recipe ;-)
    Baking turned out great. Maybe we can even do it together next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:18 PM

    would you mind telling me what kind of fish it was. I am used to fry the fish but now I am trying to cut oil and deep fry and I don't think all the first work well with baking. If you would let us know that kind of fish,that will be much helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...