June 26, 2006

Khichudi (sort of!)

I made khichudi (khichdi)- another simple, hearty meal recently. Except it was turned out drier than what I usually make.

I remember it from rainy days when my dad would request it. We'll eat it hot with variety of vegetable fries or fish fry or eggs.

Ingredients: (for 2-3 people)
1 cup rice
1 cup toor or moong dal
2 small potatoes (chopped)
1-2 carrots (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
1 medium tomato (chopped)
2 red chillis
cube of ginger (thinly sliced)
1 bay leaf
1 small cardamom
1/2 tspoon coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon garam masala
1/4 tspoon turmeric
1 tspoon oil
5 cups water
pinch of asafoetida
salt tp taste

Method:
If you are using Moong dal, roast it in a dry vessel. It gives a nice aroma to the khichudi.
Saute the carrots and potatoes. Keep it aside.
Heat oil and temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds, bayleaf, cardamom.
Next, put in the chillis, ginger and then the onions.
When onions turn translucent, add the tomatoes and the sauted vegetables.
Add the rice, dal and the masalas. Mix it well together.
Once it starts boiling, add the water. Water should be double the amount of rice and dal and a little more.
Let it cook for 20-25 minutes. Keep stirring every 10 minutes to check the rice and dal.
What makes khichudi extra special is if you add 1/2 teaspoon of ghee just before you remove it from the flame.
Enjoy it hot with salads, pickle, yogurt or fries.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds very delicious! I'll save the recipe for a rainy day! Thanks!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Welcome to the world of foodblogging!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paz
    Thank you for your good wishes. This is a easy to make recipe which I enjoy from time to time.
    Do keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mandira !!
    Are you by any chance "Bangali" ??? I am a Bangali and I was just browsing through the net for recepies when I came accross your Recipe Blog and your Recipe of "KHICHURI"!!
    Reminded me of how my Ma made !! Your Recepies are really mouth watering !! I am just an amatuer cook living in CA,USA !! Got to learn a lot !!Keep your good work going,Mandira !!
    Nivedita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nivedita - Welcome to my blog. Yes, I am a bangali and good to see a fellow bong. Kichuri is my all-time comfort food. I hope you'll try some of the recipes. Do keep visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. achha khichudi te ki peyaj dai? I'm just curious, ami sabsamoyei niramish khichudi kheyechi

    ReplyDelete
  7. partho , that is fun of cooking. I have come to realize that every family has its recipes. Amar barite amra kichudi te pyaaz dei... choto choto gol gol... darun lage khete. try kore dekho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I used onion on that day. It was a great hit. I'm a khichudi freak, amar bandhura bole ami khub jhul namai, kintu sedin er khichudita minneapolis er weather sathe darun maniye giyechilo.

    This is a gr8 blog. Keep up the good work.

    Tomar kache labra r tarkarir recipe ache?

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...