June 28, 2006

Lamb and Potato Curry

I was strolling at the farmer's market when I saw a sign 'organic lamb meat available'. Curious, as I don't eat or cook lamb often, I walked towards the van. I found out that it was a treat that they share once in 6-8 weeks. I immediately bought the last piece available - lamb shoulder.
I made lamb curry with it and went really well with pea pulao (will post recipe soon).

Ingredients:
1.6 pounds lamb - cut in bite-size pieces
6-8 small potatoes - cut in half
1 medium onion - chopped thinly
1 clove garlic - chopped, or paste
1 cube ginger - chopped or paste
1 bay leaf
1 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
2-3 cloves
2 Red chillis
2 Green Chillis
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon fennel seeds
1/2 tspoon garam masala
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric
1 cup yogurt whipped
salt to taste

Marinade for the lamb
1 big clove garlic - chopped (I used garlic press)
1 cube ginger - chopped (I used garlic press for this too)
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
1/2 tspoon garam masala
1/4 tspoon turmeric
1/4 tspoon salt
1/4 tspoon soy sauceMethod:
Marinade the lamb pieces and leave it in the fridge for atleast 2-3 hours.
Saute the potatoes and keep it aside on a kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
Heat oil and temper with bay leaf, red chillies, green and black cardamom and cloves.
When the pods and cloves swell add the fennel and cumin seeds along with green chillis, ginger and garlic. Keep stirring.
Add the onions. When they start turning brown, add the potatoes and the lamb.
Take all the masalas in a bowl, add a little bit of water to make a paste and add it in.
Mix them well together.
Let it cook for about 5-8 minutes.
Add in water and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes.
Lower the flame and add the beaten yogurt. You don't want the yogurt to break into small fragments and stick to the corner.
Mix it well for sometime and let it cook on low heat for another 20-25 minutes.
Serve it hot with rice/pulao or chapattis or naan.Since it was a special dish, I wanted to share it. I called a few friends and it became an impromptu party. We had blue drink by Amrita (I forget the name), sumptuous salad from Niharika and donuts from Swati & Ruhani. More than that, they made me feel very, very special.
This is also my this week's entry for 'Curry Mela' at Anthony's Kitchen.

6 comments:

  1. amrita10:12 AM

    The "blue drink" is actually Blue Martini. Naam vodka_rani hai to thoda izzat rakhna padega!

    1 part gin, 3 parts Curacao and a splash of lime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amrita
    We have to make it again for a picture for the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey...i tried out this recipe and it turned out to be really nice...thnx for posting it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. N - I'm so glad you tried it. Thank you for letting me know. Hope you'll keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was searching for a lamb recipe and I found your blog. You have a good collection and I will try out many .. :) Thanks, will try the lamb and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica - thanks and do let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...