June 13, 2006

Rajma Curry

My association with Rajma-Chawal goes way back- all the way back to boarding school. I still remember, we would get Rajma-chawal, Lemon pickle and Gulab Jamun for most Thursday dinners. Yum, now who can beat that combination.

There are several different ways of making Rajma. This is my mom's recipe and I generally add potatoes.Ingredients:
1 can Kidney Beans (you can also soak rajma beans overnight and pressure cook them)
5 small Potatoes (peeled and cut in halves)
1 Medium Onion (I chop half onion thin & small and slice the other half. It gives a good texture to the curry)
1 clove Garlic (chopped)
1 cube Ginger (chopped or thin slices)
1 medium Tomato (Grape tomatoes are in season here, and I used them instead)
2 red Chillis
1 Green Cardamom
1/4 tspoon Cumin seeds
1/4 tspoon Turmeric
1/4 tspoon Chilli powder
1/2 tspoon Coriander powder
1/2 tspoon Garam Masala
1 tspoon Cooking Oil
Salt to taste
Method:
Put the Kidney beans in big sieve and wash to take away the extra salt and preservatives.

In the meantime, fry the potatoes till they are slightly crisp. This takes away the raw taste of the potatoes. Put them on a kitchen towel to soak the excess oil.

Heat the rest of the oil and toast cumin seeds, red
chillis and green cardamom.

Next, put in the ginger, garlic and saute.

Add the onions and fry till they turn translucent. Add tomatoes, potatoes and kidney beans.

Mix the powder masalas together in a bowl and add. Stiry fry till it all mixes together.

Add about 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Let it cook for about 5-6 minutes on medium.

Add salt and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes.

Garnish it with fresh cilantro. Or stir-in half-a teas
poon of ghee.

Serve it hot with salad and rice.


6 comments:

  1. oh how i love rajma chawal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I love it best with the potatoes after it's a day old when the masala is all soaked in. Thanks for visiting Albert and keep up the good work at your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried making a rajma curry with potatoes, but since it does sound good perhaps that is what I'll do the next time I make rajma. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lotus - Do try the curry. I make it with potatoes and it makes it a heaty dish. It goes well with steamed rice or chapati.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Which school did you go to? I went to a boarding school too..and we loved Rajma-Chawal! Was it the same school in Nainital?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon - are you a AllC-ite too? I did go to school in Nainital and enjoyed rajma-chawal every week :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...