June 07, 2006

Spinach, Shallots and Mixed Vegetables


Ever since I planted seeds in pots on my porch, the first thing I do when I return home everyday is to go and look at the pots. 'Are there new saplings? Does that plant look taller?' I grew cherry tomatoes last year and that has sparked the fire. This year I have planted chillis, carrots, onions and a little tomato plant. As you can imagine, this is very exciting for me.

This weekend, I used shallots from my own backyard for cooking. Once I picked them, the challenge was to do something exciting with it. I looked through my fridge and found spinach and a few vegetables. I mixed them together for a regular sabzi, and the result was great.

I know I am going to make it again, maybe when Aswin is back! :-)

Ingredients:

4 oz - Baby Spinach

2 - Shallots

1/3 lb Mixed Vegetable (either fresh or frozen)

1 clove Garlic

2 Red Chillis

½ Tspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder

½ Tspoon Cumin Seeds

¼ Tspoon Turmeric

1 Tspoon Oil

Salt to Taste

Method:

Chop shallots, spinach and vegetables.

Heat oil and put in cumin Seeds and chillis.

When cumin seeds turn golden, put in garlic and then chopped shallots.

After a couple of minutes put mixed vegetables, cumin-coriander powder and turmeric. Cover and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.

Add spinach and salt. Cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes or till spinach is limp and dark green.

Serve it hot with chapattis or rice.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:24 PM

    try korchi
    arijit

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice, put up pics of the rest of the loot you got at the sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:43 PM

    hey - really impressed by your culinary enthusiasm. spinach and shallots sound like a great combo -must try it one of these days. you've mamaged to inspire someone who practically survives on cereal, frozen pizza and pot noodles -well done! :)

    stuti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stuti
    I'm glad you like my culinary skills ;) I've grown to enjoy cooking and it has also made me more conscious of what I'm eating as well.
    Good Luck with your cooking adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...