June 18, 2006

Watermelons!

It's watermelon season. In India, we would stop by a roadside vendor and mom would pick up a big round watermelon. We would cut them into pieces, sprinkle sugar and refrigerate it. We would eat them in the evenings, sitting in cane chairs in freshly watered lawns.

I still enjoy cool watermelons on a warm evening from time to time. This time I decided to go beyond just taste and find out more about the fruit.

Here is what I found out about watermelons:
Watermelons originated in Africa. They were brought to China around 10th century and then was shortly introduced to the rest of the New World through trade.

Along with the thirst-quenching properties, watermelons are also excellent sources of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. They are also a good source of lycopene (also found in carrots).

Watermelon seeds are also edible. We would sun-dry them as kids. It can also be toasted lightly and eaten as a snack.

They are also packed with essential oils and are also used for beauty treatments.

Bon appetit!

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I miss watermelons. Great on sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Watermelons taste wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:12 PM

    I love watermelons. When I travelled to NewYork in 1996, in manhattan near our hotel there were many shops owned by Chinese people and they used to sell in a transperent plastic containers with a plastic fork, diced watermelons. It was so good and handy to have them in this way that I still wish to have in that way in shops here in England! There it was dam cheap $1.00 per container. Anyway here is a recipe which I have taught here to my adult students in Indian cookery lessons and appreciated by them. it was a part of a course called 'Summer entertaining in Indian style: Watermelon Sherbet'. Just dice watermelon and take out its seeds. Then put them in a liquisider and liquiside. Put them in glasses with crushed ice(if you want to serve instantly)or leave in a fridge for an hour or two. Before you serve, sprinkle ground roasted cumin seeds, ground black pepper and salt. It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poppy dey5:21 PM

    Above one is not anonymous as it is sent by me and it is my recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Poppy for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...