June 26, 2006

Yeh hain Dilli meri jaan!

While browsing some of my favorite blogs, I came across a link for a great essay by William Dalrymple in Amardeep Singh's blog. The essay is about Delhi during the late 19th century, the Last Emperor - Bahadur Shah Zafar and the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857.

You can read the essay which is published in the current issue of Outlook India here.
To read Amardeep's analysis and comments on the essay, click here.

I remember my visit to a cemetary in Old Delhi where several British soldiers, who died in the 1857 mutiny, are buried. It was a hot summer afternoon and I spent it wandering around in the cemetary looking at grave names and wondering how little I knew of the Mutiny.

I loved reading William Dalrymple's Delhi:City of Djinns which led me to his other book The White Mughals. I admire his eye for detail and his imaginative and vivid storytelling.

I am looking forward to his new book The Last Mughal which comes out sometime this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...