July 31, 2006

Baingan Bharta

Both Aswin and I have similar childhood stories. We weren't big on eggplants growing up . The only eggplant dish we liked was Baingan Bharta and it remains a favorite. We usually microwave the eggplant, but this time we decided to roast it in the oven. It was in the oven for 30 min at 300F, but wasn't done completely when we took it out. So it went back in the microwave and 3 min later, it was soft and pulpy. Once the eggplant is done, the rest is easy. Here is Aswin's recipe for Baingan Bharta.

Ingredients:
1 Eggplant
1 medium Onion - chopped
1 medium tomato - chopped
1 cube ginger - thinly sliced
2 green chillis - slit
1 tspoon cumin seeds
3/4 tspoon coriander powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1/4 tspoon curry leaves powder
1/4 tspoon red chilli powder
1 tspoon oil
cilantro to garnish
salt to taste

Method:
Make slits in the eggplant, rub it with oil. You can then roast it in open fire, put it in the oven in aluminium foil or put it in the microwave till the eggplant skin is charred.
Remove the skin, and mash the insides. Set it aside.
Heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds, green chillis and ginger.
When it starts sizzling, add the onions. Saute till it starts turning brown.
Add the tomatoes. Close the lid for a couple of minutes, till the tomatoes turn soft.
Add the eggplant and the powder masalas. Saute it for a couple of minutes.
Add salt and let it cook on medium low for 10 minutes.

Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rotis and salad.

5 comments:

  1. Please tell the cooking method of eggplant in microwave.The blog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mandira..came by here through Priya's blog. Welcome to blogworld...you have a lovely list of recipes.
    Are you a Bengali? I spent 7 years in Calcutta as a child and am attached to the place. In Bombay my best friend is a Bong so I have spent many weekends eating a lunch of dhokar dalna, mansho and potol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tuli - thanks for dropping by. Cooking eggplant in microwave is fairly easy. For making bharta with a medium eggplant, make slits and rub oil on the eggplant. Put it on a plate and cook it on high for 5 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 more minutes. Do let me know if this works for you. Good Luck :)

    Hi Ashwini - Thanks and welcome to ahaar. Yes, I am a Bengali who grew out of Kotkata, though I would spend my summer vaccations there when I was growing up. Oh dhokar dalna, potol... they make me nostalgic. Now I have to call home and get some more recipes :) Do keep visiting.

    Hey Pushpha - Thanks. Do give it a try. Did you make your fish yet? :) Am waiting for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipe! I had several eggplants to use up, and was glad to find your recipe to make Baingan Bharta, one of my favorite dishes which I have never tried to cook at home until now.

    I knew this would be a good recipe based on the step to make slits in the eggplant and rub with oil. It turned out well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...