July 05, 2006

Green Chicken Curry

I have had green chicken couple of times in restaurants. I made it for my friend Durga, visiting during the July 4th weekend. It was the first time I was trying it at home, it turned out rather nice. Instead of any greens, I created the base with mint and cilantro. It gave a tangy and fresh taste to the gravy.

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts - cut in small sizes (I used a mix of breasts and thighs)
1 medium onion - chopped
2 medium tomato - chopped
few sprigs of cilantro and mint - cut coarsely (one part of mint to three part of cilantro)
4 green chillis - chopped
2 red chillis
2 cloves garlic- paste
1 cube ginger - paste
1 tspoon fennel seeds
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon chilli powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1 cardamom
2-3 cloves
1 small cinnamon stick
1 tbspoon oil
salt to taste
Method:
  • Heat a teaspoon of oil and temper with fennel seeds and cinnamon. Add onions and saute till it turns translucent.
  • Set it aside and cool. Add it to the grinder with cilantro, mint, 2 green chillis and tomatoes. Make it into a fine paste.
  • Heat the rest of the oil. Add cloves, cardamom and cumin seeds. When the cloves swell, add the red and green chillis along with ginger and garlic paste.
  • Then add the chicken and the powder masalas. Saute it together till the chicken starts browning.
  • Add the green paste, half cup water and salt. Turn it to medium low heat and cook for 25-30 minutes. Keep stirring every 7-8 minutes till it is done.
  • Serve hot with rice or naan.

4 comments:

  1. Found my way here from Mahanandi. Nice blog! The green chicken curry sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RP:
    Welcome to my blog. I am glad you liked the green chicken curry recipe. I wanted to make something different and tried this new recipe. It turned out great. Do keep visiting.
    Mandira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aruna9:43 AM

    Mandira,

    Your recipe for Green Chicken curry tasted great....Thx for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aruna, thanks for letting me know. I'm glad it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...