The best dal makhani I have had are in roadside dhabas. Stopping in various dhabas while travelling or sometimes going to the nearest dhaba for a meal, I have had some great versions of the dish.
In my recipe, I omitted out the malai (cream) and butter and used yogurt instead. You can also use a combination of cream and yogurt. Also it's best is if you soak the dal overnight. I had time to soak it for a couple of hours and had to pressure cook it longer. Here goes my recipe.
1 cup whole urad dal (urad)
1tbsp red kidney beans (rajma)
1 onion - finely chopped
1 tomato - finely chopped
1 cube ginger - chopped or paste
2 garlic cloves - chopped or paste
2-3 green chilies - chopped
1/2 cup yogurt - whipped
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon garam masala
1/2 tspoon red chili powder
1/2tsp dhania powder
1 tspoon oil
cilantro to garnish
salt to taste
- Soak urad dal and rajma in warm water overnight. I soaked for a couple of hours hence, more time for pressure cooking.
- Add water & little salt and pressure-cook till soft – I did about 5-6 whistles.
- Mash it, add yogurt and cook for another 10 –15 minutes. Cream can also added.
- In a wok or pan, heat oil and temper with cumin seeds. Add garlic paste, fry till golden brown. Add onions and fry till they start turning brown.
- Add ginger, green chillies, tomatoes and sauté till tomatoes soften.
- Add powder masala and mix it all together.
- Add the dal and stir on a medium flame. Once it starts boiling, add garam masala and remove from the flame.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, green chillis and a blob of butter.
- Serve with parathas, naan or rice.