July 08, 2006

Pomfret Fry

I have never eaten pomfret at home. Infact, I didn't eat pomfret till I went to college to Manipal in Karnataka. And there, on Sundays, in the first semester, four of us - all bengalis- would go to Sheela hotel, order pomfret fry, dal and rice. And each of us would relish a whole pomfret fry. By the end we would be so stuffed that all we could do was go back to the dorm room and sleep through the afternoon.

When our classmates complained that they never saw us on Sundays, we would give each other a look that said "your secret is safe with me". This was complete pleasure.

I recently bought pompano- closest to pomfret- from my local grocery store and made my own pomfret fry.

Ingredients:
1 pomfret - cleaned
1 garlic clove - paste
1 small cube ginger - paste
1 green chilli - sliced thinly
1/4 tspoon turmeric
1/4 tspoon lemon juice
1/4 tspoon pan searing flour- white pepper and sea salt
1 tspoon semolina or cream of wheat
2 tbspoon oil
salt to taste

Method:
  • Make side slits in the fish.
  • Mix all the masalas, ginger and garlic paste and rub it on the fish.
  • Marinate the fish for 2-3 hours.
  • For cooking, heat oil, cover the fish with pan searing flour and semolina and fry for about 15-20 min.
  • Garnish the crisy fish with cilantro, tomatoes, cucumber and serve.

8 comments:

  1. :) yum is all i can say

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, butter fish is closer to pomfret than pompano( a recent discovery) and Halibut rox! you shd try making it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Urvi
    I will definitely try butter fish soon. And haddock does taste good. I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your fish pic looks very great, I usualy use tilapia fish which i find is qucker to cook and fillets are easily available here. I once got pomfret and tried to cut it and it landed in a very bad shape :(, ur recipe is definitely worht a try, next time for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neelu:
    Welcome to my blog. The first fish I cooked at home was Tilapia which is easy to cook. This is the first time I am trying pomfret. I am glad you liked the recipe.
    Do keep visiting.
    Mandira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:55 PM

    Hey Mandira,
    I just bumped into your blog. I too studied at Manipal. I did my eng in Computer Science from MIT.
    Passed out in 1999.
    Hotel Sheela was a fav hangout for my group of friends as well.
    We loved their Reshmi kabab.
    ~Gayathri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gayathri
    Welcome to my blog. What a coincidence... I was in Manipal around the same time and went to school in Boston.
    You know what else I miss about Sheela Hotel? Their masala papads.. did you try those?
    Do keep visiting
    Mandira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:06 PM

    sounds delish, butterfish is not at all closer to pomfret than pompano and halibuts a whole nother realm of texture an taste but i dig

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...