August 22, 2006

Baked Fish and Vegetables


We were at the grocery store browsing the fresh fish section as we usually do when I saw the long, juicy fillet of Cod. It was calling out 'pick me, pick me', and so I did. When I came home, I instantly wanted to make something with it. But nothing fried with this fillet, I thought. After contemplating between grilling and baking, I decided to bake it. For more information about cod fish, click here.

I am just learning to make baked fish, so I worry about the marinate, the time to put the fish in the oven, what to serve with it. But this fish put all my worries to rest. I baked it with cilantro, mint and garlic marinate. They are strong flavors but they went well together. Along with baked fresh vegetables it was lip-smacking good. Not to forget healthy.

Here is an interesting article with information about cilantro. I didn't know cilantro was mentioned as an aphrodisiac in The Tales of Arabian Nights!

Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
1 lb Cod Fillet
1 sprig cilantro - finely chopped
1 sprig mint - finely chopped
2 cloves garlic - paste
1/4 tspoon turmeric
1/2 tspoon lemon juice
salt and fresh pepper to taste

1 zuchhini - chopped
6-8 grape tomatoes - chopped
10 -12 shitake mushrooms - chopped
1 tspoon soy sauce
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste


Method:
Rub turmeric, salt and pepper on the fillet.
Add garlic, mint, cilantro and lemon juice and marinate the fish for 1-1 1/2 hours.
Marinate the vegetables with soy sauce, salt and pepper for 30-45 min.
Heat the oven to 300 deg F. Bake the fish at 300 deg F for 35-40 minutes.
The vegtables don't have to be baked for so long. They can be added in the oven after 20 minutes.
Let it cool and serve.

This is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. She has some delicious salad recipes. I trieed the garbanzo, tomato and cilantro salad and it was delicious.

9 comments:

  1. shilpa3:01 PM

    Lovely dish Mandira. I don't think I have used cod fish in my cooking before. Will try this soon.Thanks..w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shilpa. I have eaten cod couple of times before. It is juice fish and tastes great grilled or baked. I am yet to try it in a curry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked the Garbanzo, Tomato and Cilantro salad. I think this sounds just wonderful. I like cod, but I haven't cooked it too much so I'm glad to hear a good way to prepare it. The combination of seasonings here sounds just right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalyn- Whenever I need a new salad recipe, I always see what is cooking at your blog. Lovely pictures too. Cod fish turned out really well with the marinade. Thank you for hosting the event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. coffeepot12:24 PM

    That looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Coffeepot - Welcome to Ahaar. The fish and the vegetables tasted good with the marinade. We made sandwiches with the leftovers the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, beautiful pictures. This looks very yummy--and healthy. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'll make this the next time I see good cod in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sher- Thank you for visiting. This was the third time I was trying Cod Fish and it turns out good each time. Do give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...