August 09, 2006

Celebrating Rakhi with Suji Halwa

Today is Rakhi. Thanks to Indian sites for online shopping, the rakhi and sweets have already been delivered to my brothers. But I could'nt resist making something sweet for myself to savor the ocassion.

When I came home, I made some suji (cream of wheat) halwa. Simple dessert which satisfied my sweet craving and reminded me of the days I would look for the biggest and brightest rakhis (yep, one won't do) for my brothers. This is my mother's recipe. She usually made this for us as an evening snack.

Ingredients:
1 cup suji
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 tspoon cardamom powder
2 cloves
handful raisins, almonds, cashews

Method:
Heat a thick bottomed wide pan and toast suji until the raw smell goes away. You can also add 1 tspoon ghee in the pan and toast the suji in it.
Add the milk and sugar in the pan and cook over low heat till it comes to a boil.
Add the cardamom powder and cloves.
Now add the suji in the pan little at a time with constant stirring.
Cook it over low heat till the water disappears.
Toast the raisins, almonds and casews in litte ghee and add it to the halwa.

Cool it to room temperature and serve.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mandira,
    sooji halva is my hubbys favourite.
    Nice photo for raksha bhandhan.
    Vineela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vineela - thank you. I love suji halwa as well. It's quick and tastes great each time. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I am an American married to a Hydrabadi. They have never served this particular recipe but a Lawati friend served it to me and I loved it! I lost her recipe and have been searching for one. I will try this in about an hour. It looks simple and quick enough! Thanks a lot for your site and I look forward to trying different recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alia, thanks for visiting. Suji (semolina) halwa is fairly simple to make. Do let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I finally made it and it was so tasty. My daughter tried it and liked it alot. I like it with roasted or toasted almonds. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...