August 14, 2006

Food Parade - Rasmalai

I wanted to make something special for the Independence Day Food Parade at Mahanandi. No celebration is complete without sweets. So, mishti was an obvious choice. While looking up more about sweets and West Bengal, I came across couple of interesting links. Did you know that Nabinchandra Roy of Bagbazar, Kolkata created the first Rasagulla in 1868? Or that different districts in West Bengal are famous for different kinds of sweets? "Krishnanagar is famous for sarbhaja, Burdwan for mihidana, Midnapore for babarshah, Birbhum for morabba, Maldah for raskadamba and Jalpaiguri for chhanchi dai." More information here and here.

I have to admit I have never made rasmalai at home so I was a little hesitant. I didn't make it from scratch, instead using readymade rasgullas as cheese ball substitute. It turned out great. Not only did I learn to make something new, I also learnt little bit more about the sweets I enjoy. I am really encouraged by this experience and am going to make it from scratch the next time.

Ingredients:
1 tin rasagulla (8-10 pieces)
1 quart whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pistachios & walnuts (you can substitute walnuts with almonds & cashews)
1/2 tspoon cardamom powder
1 tspoon rose water

Method:
Pour the milk in a deep and wide pan (not non-stick) and bring it to boil.
Squeeze the rasgullas for excess syrup and drop them in boiling milk. Boil it for 5-7 minutes till they turn soft and flat. Take them out on a plate and cool.
Add sugar, 1/4 cup pistachios, walnuts, cardamom powder and rose water in the milk.
Boil the milk in low heat stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Boil till you have 1/4 of the milk left. It took me 1 hour 15 minutes.
Cool to room temperature. Add the cheese balls in the milk.
Garnish with pistachios and cardamom powder.

This is my float for the Independence Day Food Parade hosted by Indira at Mahanandi. Happy Independence Day!

21 comments:

  1. Nice posting. The recipe with readymade rasagollas sounds easy to make.. thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time here, I make it the same way too, nice pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using canned rasgulla is a nice idea. Thank you for the recipe. Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious. Happy indepedence day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is how I make it too. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Nice treat.
    Happy independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum ! I have a special weakness for all Bengali sweets be it Sandesh, Mishti Doi , Rosogolla and of course delicious Rasmalai - great recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet!! Happy Independence Day to you and Aswin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:57 PM

    ok, ill see you 2 tommorrow for some of that yumminess-s9

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prema, Archana - thank you. Using readymade rasgullas cut the preparation time and made the entire process easier.

    Puspha, RP, Krithika, Durga, S9 - thank you. Happy Independence Day to you too.

    Shankari - welcome to ahaar. Do keep visiting.

    Monisha - I love bengali sweets too. sandesh and Mishti Doi are next on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mandira,

    What a cool receipe ,thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to say the recipe sorter you have added on the right is a really cool idea. Someime ago, I wanted to check chicken recipes on your blog and had to open up archives for each month. This is going to make it really convenient.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tanuja - thank you for visiting. The rasmalai tasted great. It lasted one day :)

    Thanks Durga - I have been wanting to do it for some time, but didn't know how to. I did the categories with help from a kind and generous fellow food blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey mandira
    This is a great idea.Rasmalai is my favourite sweet & now i can prepare it at home .
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Radhika - Welcome to ahaar. Making rasmalai was never easier. :) do give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi mandira,
    I made this sweet today...i hope my husband likes it....i will post his view once he comes home..once again thank you for ur tasty tasty rasmalai..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sadhana - Welcome to my blog. I am glad you are trying the rasmalai. Do let me how it turns out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi mandira,

    my husband loved this sweet.....
    thank you once again

    Regards
    Sadhana

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey Sadhana - that's wonderful. I'm happy that you and your husband enjoyed rasmalai. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mandira!
    Iam visiting this blog for the first time.I liked your easy to make rasmalai recipe.Iam definetly going to try this.I never even thought that we cud make rasamlai with readymade rasgollas.Thanks for such a nice recipe.I'll look forward for such easy and tasty recipes from you.I have added your blog as a link in my blog
    Madhavi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Madhavi and welcome to ahaar. This is a easy recipe which wins rave reviews ;) enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...