August 01, 2006

JFI-Alugadde Akki Roti

It is that time of the month again when we refresh our relationship with an ingredient. It was flour this time. After thinking a lot, I decided to make a special snack that was introduced to me by my in-laws. I will let Aswin introduce this dish!

My parents loved Madison, WI. They stayed with me for nearly a month, right after I had moved to Madison from Boston. I lived off-campus, but on a bus line, and they loved being able to take the bus and explore the city - the arboretum, farmer's market, going to lake mendota where I'd join them for an afternoon picnic, and so on. Needless to say, I didn't do much cooking that month! It was almost as good as being home in Bangalore, especially those afternoons when they would whip up tiffin! Its been so long, even the word "tiffin" sounds a bit quaint to me now.

So here's a tiffin item they made one rainy afternoon. For some reason, no one in my family took to akki roti - we always felt it was too heavy for tiffin. So amma and anna made a few changes and here it is: alugadde akki roti.



Ingredients:
2 cups rice flour
3 medium-sized potatoes
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 green chilli
1 cube ginger
1/4 tspoon curry leaves powder
1/4 tspoon red chilli powder
4 tbspoon oil
pinch of turmeric
salt to taste

Method:
Boil the potatoes, and mash it together with a little salt, turmeric, chilli powder and curry leaves powder.
In a mixer, grind the cilantro, ginger and chilli to a coarse paste (avoid adding water).
Mix the paste and the mashed potatoes with the rice flour, adding 2 tspoons of oil and water as required.
Mix till you have a firm dough.
Make a small ball and pat it out on a ziploc (or any plastic sheet) with your fingers.
Heat it on a griddle with a little oil. Turn over and cook till it is golden brown.
Serve with chutney, pickles or tomato ketchup.

This is my entry for JFI-Flour hosted by Santhi at Me and my Kitchen.

16 comments:

  1. I make rice rotis too, but this one is a little different with potatoes . Shall try it soon. Thanx for the recipe Mandira !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... akki roti, my favorite. But with potatoes, wow! I guess they would act like binding agent for rice flour and also would add some extra flavor. Great twist to a classic recipe. Thanks Mandira and Aswin for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...thats a new dish. I love akki rotti. with potatoes, its new to me :).Good to see a fellow Bangalorean :D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice recipe. Need to try this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy yummy akki rotti.
    and with a twist too...
    Thankyou mandira for the entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice to include Aswin in your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shilpa - yes, a fellow Bangalorean who really, really misses having a "darshini" down the road...and the occasional chow-chow bath, vadai and coffee snack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Priya - The first akki roti I had was with potatoes. I have to now try them without it :) Do give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

    Indira - You're right. Potatoes act as binding agents and that means less water and oil. Thanks for visiting :)

    Shilpa - I love potatoes too as you can probably see from my recipes. Adding it to akki roti makes it a nice evening snack :)

    Thanks Krithika. Do give it a try.

    Santhi - Thanks for hosting JFI-Flour. Great continuation to the JFI-Dal. Can't wait for the round up. :)

    Revathi - We really connect over food and cooking. So it's almost natural to include him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. Thanx for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Puspha - it is a simple quick recipe and tastes wonderful with chai or coffee. Do give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tasted Akki Roti, Mandira. However, my husband, who comes from Bangalore, always raves about it. Maybe I should suprise him with this version of yours this weekend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vaishali - I was introduced to akki roti by a Banglorean too. I liked it immediately. Do let me know if your husband enjoyed this version of akki roti.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Foodie's Hope. Do keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice picture :) mandira, mom makes similar Roti's with lot's of coriander sprinkled on top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Lera, I bet it tastes great with fresh coriander. Will try it the next time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...