August 03, 2006

Mango Tofu Curry

Summers are about mangoes in India. From hep mango martinis to inexpensive but delicious maaza, it is mango mania for kids and adults in every part of the country. Men and women are always on the lookout for that perfect mango in sabzi mandis, kids sharpen their catapult skills to get a raw mango tempting them from a tree, while moms prepare mango pickles for the coming year.

It reminds me of my childhood. Growing up, summers were about picking a lush ripe mango after lunch or dinner (sometimes both) and eating it whole, with juices dribbling down my chin and hands.

Here, it reminds me of my favorite Thai place and mango tofu curry I first tasted there. Since then I have made mango tofu curry several times at home. You can make the curry using mango puree as well. I personally like the mango cubes. Biting into the succulent pieces with the sweet, slightly tangy taste makes me drool every time. Here is how I make it.

1 ripe mango - peeled and cubed
1 small pack of firm tofu - chopped
1 crown of broccoli - chopped
1/2 pack of mushroom - cleaned and chopped (I used shitake mushrooms)

1/2 cup coconut milk
1 medium onion - chopped
1 cube ginger - paste
2 cloves garlic - paste

2 green chillis - slit
few sprigs of basil - chopped
1/4 tspoon - cinnamon and clove powder
1 bay leaf
1 tspoon soy sauce
1 tspoon lemon juice
1/2 tspoon sugar
1tbspoon olive oil
salt and fresh black pepper to taste

Saute the tofu pieces until they turn golden
Heat the rest of the oil and temper with bay leaf, basil leaves, green chillis, ginger and garlic paste. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Add the onion and stir fry till it turns translucent.
Add the broccoli and mushrooms and saute it together for a few minutes.

Add the mango pieces and cook on a low flame till the pieces turn tender.
Add coconut milk, soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper and cook on low for for 5 -6 minutes.
Put tofu and cook for another 7-8 minutes till they all mix together.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve with rice.
It was during JFI- Mango that I first considered starting my own food blog. When Indira read that, she had graciously asked if I wanted to submit an entry for JFI-Mango. Even though it is a few months late, I couldn't resist it. So here is my entry for JFI-Mango. Thank you Indira!


  1. This is very interesting.

  2. Oh I love the thai mango curries....they are my favorite

  3. This looks very interesting. I am gonnu try this soon.

  4. Thank you for this recipe Mandira, sounds delicious!

  5. Hi Mandira,

    I have added your entry to JFI-Mango roundup. (Link - here.)

    Thank so much for contributing this fabulous recipe to the event. I really like this recipe, certainly will try it. Thanks Mandira!

  6. Thanks Puspha

    Ashwini - I love Thai curries too!

    Shilpa - Do give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks Archana

    Indira - thanks for including my entry for JFI- Mango roundup. I appreciate the opportunity :)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...