August 17, 2006

Vangi Bhath (eggplant rice)

I had never tasted Vangi Bhath until Aswin made it once, and I have always wanted to try it myself. My mother-in-law sent some fresh vangi bhath powder from Bangalore and I decided to take a crack at it. It's easy and quick to make and goes well with a side of raita and chips.


Ingredients:
2 cups rice
1 large eggplant, diced

1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp vangi bhath powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 red chilis
1 tsp oil
Pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste


Method:
Cook the rice and keep it aside.
Temper the oil with mustard seeds, jeera, and asafoetida.
Add the diced eggplant with a little water and cook on low flame with a closed lid for about 8 minutes.
Make sure that the eggplant is cooked but doesn't turn soft.
Add the vangi bhath powder, mix well and cook it for 1-2 minutes.
Mix it with steamed rice and serve.

If you want to make your own vangi bhath powder, here are the ingredients.

Vangi Bhath Powder
Ingredients:

8 cloves
4 small sticks of cinnamon
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chana dal
2 tsp urad dal
1 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp jeera
4 tsp dhania (coriander seeds)
6 red chilis
1 tsp curry leaves powder

Method:
In a small skillet, heat 2 tspoons of ghee.
When the ghee has melted, add the cloves and the cinnamon and roast for 1-2 minutes.
Set aside and let cool.
Now mix all the ingredients and grind to a coarse powder in a mixie/food processor.

7 comments:

  1. YAY!! I am the first one to comment.Well! I think your MIL did a good job with Vangi Bhath pd. Looks delicious!!

    I might try this weekend and let you know. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vangi bath looks delicious...Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi!
    mandira
    yummmy!I tried ur vangi bath recipe this weekend it was great everybody liked it.Even i had the same template as urs but had to change coz i had some problems with it.
    thanks for recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Foodie's Hope: Welcome to my blog. Vangi Bhath is a delicious and easy recipe and turns out great every time.

    Thanks Chandrika for your encouragement.

    Hi Radhika: I'm glad it turned out good. Thank you for letting me know. About this blog, I've had this template from the begining. The only changes I've made are to the sidebar. I hope your new template is working out. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Thank you so much for this delicious receipe. I tried it with a little variation though. I added onions and tomatoes to the curry and cocount to the masala bhath powder!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon- Thanks for trying the recipe and letting me know. I am always excited to hear about the variations and experiments of my recipes. Coconut sounds like an interesting twist to the powder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Vangi bath looks real delicious. Thanks for sharing this traditional South Indian recipe.
    Chk here for another version of Vangi bath:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/5266-post39.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 9 years now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...