September 21, 2006

FMR - Pumpkin Sabzi with Peanuts & Coconut


Pumpkin is probably the first sign of Fall. They start appearing at doorsteps, on tables and of course in food. I start looking forward to pumpkin pies, pumpkin soups and of course pumpkin sabzis. What could be a better choice for From My Rasoi being hosted by Meeta at What's for Lunch, Honey!

I used the winter squash pumpkin which has orangish-red flesh though I have seen yellow pumpkin in India and am told that white pumpkins are also available. It had a hard skin and I experimented with all kinds of knives in the kitchen for cutting it! Finally I enlisted Aswin's help to cut it open!

Pumpkins are low calorie food and also have a lot of beta carotene, potassium, magnesium & iron. The seeds are also edible and used for oil. Pumpkins are used for treating kidney and gall bladder problems. More information here.

I made the pumpkin sabzi with peanuts and coconut - the perfect mix of crunchy peanuts and sweet pumpkin with creamy coconut. Here is how I made it using my MIL's recipe.


Ingredients:
1 medium size pumpkin
1/4 cup peanuts
2 tbspoon coconut
1 tspoon jaggery
1 tspoon red chilli powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
1/2 tspoon urad dal
1 red chilli
3-4 curry leaves
2 tspoon oil
salt to taste

Method:
Peel the pumpkin and cut it into small pieces.
Heat oil in a pan and temper it with mustard seeds, urad dal & red chilli.
Add the pumpkin in the pan.
After stirring for a couple of minutes, add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
Sprinkle some water, mix well and let it cook (closed lid) on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
Ground peanuts coarsely.
Add coconut, jaggery and peanuts and mix it well with the pumpkin. Let it cook for another minute.
Put the curry leaves and take it off the heat.
Serve hot with rice or chapati.


This is my entry for FMR- Pumpkin at What's for Lunch, Honey.

10 comments:

  1. Yet another pumpkin recipe!! Yum!! Looks gorgeous and easy enough! Will try it, thanks Mandira!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Mandira. I make the same way but for the peanuts. Seems new. Thnx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe Mandira. I am really enjoying seeing all these yummy recipes. Thanks for the entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira,
    very pretty pumpkin dish, even I'm not a pumpkin fan, still can't resist to look through your whole recipe, really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandira,
    Simple and easy to make recipe. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh mandira, I'm going to love this... the pumpkin & coconut combination must be yummy enough but the spices must add so much flavour to it... I'll try it when the weather is a bit colder, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a must try thnx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asha - Thanks. This was a quick and simple recipe which tastes delicious with rice & chapati.

    Jayshree - Peanuts give a nice crunch to the softness of pumpkin. Tastes great too!

    Meeta - Thanks. It turned out great. The roundup was great too. I enjoyed reading all the recipes.

    Gattina - Thanks. It is pretty colorful, isn't it? Pumpkin encapsulates the spirit of Fall.

    Prema- Thanks for visiting. This kind pumpkin cooks really fast, took us all of 10-12 minutes.

    Keiko - Thanks. The spices along with cocunut gives a nice creamy flavor to the slightly sweet pumpkin and peanuts add the crunchiness. Do try.

    Haripriya - Thanks. The sabzi was gone in a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Nice recipe. When do you add the coconut though? Also are the peanuts roasted or raw?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mansi,
    Tried this today and it turned out good. All these years I knew just pumpkin raita,now I can add even this to my list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...