September 11, 2006

Okra Kadi

My mother-in-law is visiting us from India and that means new recipes, good food and lot of love and care. I come home to tea with snacks, and my lunch is ready when I am leaving for work. Plus no cooking for dinner (most days). :)

I have been trying new recipes with her over the weekend. Yesterday, we made kadi. This had no besan, instead the base is coconut. This is something new for me. This kadi is traditionally made with white pumpkin. Since we couldn't find it here, we added okra, which tastes just as delicious. Here is her recipe.

Ingredients:
2 cups yogurt
10 - 15 okra
1/2 cup cocunut
2 green chillies
1 cube of ginger
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1 tbspoon chana dal
1 tspoon mustard
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon oil
4-5 curry leaves
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
cilantro to garnish

Method:
Whisk the yogurt and set aside. It tastes best if the yogurt is a little sour.
Soak the chana dal in warm water for about 10- 15 min.
Wash the okra and chop it into 1 inch pieces.
Grind the coconut, green chilli, ginger, cumin seeds and chana dal together till it becomes a fine paste.
Heat a wide bottomed pan and temper the oil with mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves.
Add the okra and cook till it becomes tender.
Mix the yogurt with the cocunut paste. Then add it to the pan and cook on low heat.
Add turmeric and salt and cook for 10 minutes till the kadi boils over, much like milk does.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or pongal or upma.

17 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have your mother-in-law around? Enjoy it to the fullest.
    Looking forward to more new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm...Sounds Tasty! I make kadi with besan and kadi is one of my favorites! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandira,

    Thank you for sharing this recipe - I have never tried and will look forward to it. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tony of bachelor cooking2:25 AM

    You have been tagged :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandira,
    Nice to have ur MIL with u.. this recipe is new to me .. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful to me. I'm intrigued by the combination of tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky girl to have such a wonderful MIL! :)
    Mine expects me to cook, serve and clean up!! Grr...

    Love your recipe ,little different from usual which is always good!! I will try and make it sometime!! Thanks Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you !! I use thur dal instead of channa dal. Will try this version next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a unique dish, Mandira. And I love the play of light and shadow in the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dish sounds and looks wonderful. Great photo too! Thanks for visiting our blog. I've added your blog to our links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting recipe for me. I like okra a lot! Thanks!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  12. RP- Yes, it it so nice to have my MIL around. I will post some more recipes by her soon. Stay tuned!

    Chandrika - this was my first time trying the kadi. It is sure to be a regular in my house now.

    Linda- Thanks. Do give it a try.

    Tony - Looking forward to the meme. :)

    Prema - thanks, this is a simple dish to make and tastes delicious.

    Kalyn - this curry tastes creamy from the cocunut and slightly tangy from the yogurt. The combination goes well together as I found out.

    Asha - it's nice to have my MIL around and trying new recipes with her. You can put white pumpkin, drumstick, or even bottlegourd instead of okra. Do give it a try.

    Jayshree - I'm sure it tastes just as well with toor dal too. Thanks for visiting.

    Vaishali - thanks. It tastes yummy too.

    Sury - thanks. I'm adding you to my blog roll too. Do keep visiting.

    Paz - thanks. Okra went really well in the kadi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    It is looking delicious.!!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi i stumbled upon your blog. lovely pics u hv :) i'm a foodie myself and its great to know likeminded ppl. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sqrlnt4:34 PM

    Welcome back online!!! When did she arrive? I am sure you can introduce her to blogging.;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Menu Today - Thanks

    Evan - thank you. I have met some great foodie bloggers. Do keep visiting.

    Sqrlnt - thanks ya. I am still transferring my data back. But the internet is back. I showed her the response. She is very thrilled. Will post more of her recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is called vendaka moor kozambu in tamil...a yummy tamilian dish

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...