October 30, 2006

Rasmalai with a twist!


I still don't have Internet at home (after the snow storm!) hence the intermittent blogging. But I have been busy in the kitchen trying out new recipes and giving a twist to the old ones. Using Bengali rasmalai as my inspiration, I made this for dinner with my friends recently. The ingredients are simple. I let the taste of milk and coconuts do all the talking. They are cheese patties look much like rasmalai but are thicker with almond filling. They are then covered with coconut syrup. They are not dunked, but the syrup is poured over right before serving. This is quick and simple and sure to light up your dessert conversation! Enjoy.

Ingredients
For Patties
Ricotta cheese – ½ cup
Sugar – ½ cup
Almonds – 6-7 crushed coarsely

For Syrup
Milk – 1 cup
Coconut milk – 2cups
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardamom – 1-2

Almonds for garnishing


Method:
For Patties
Heat a thick-bottomed pan, and heat the ricotta cheese and sugar together till they mix well. Pour the mix in a cheese cloth and let it hang for about 30-min till the excess water drains off.
Divide the dough in small balls. Make a hole in the center, and fill it with almonds. Cover it and make it into small patties. Line them on a cookie sheet and bake it at 250 for 15 min.
Take them out and let it cool.

For Syrup
Heat the milk and coconut milk in a thick, wide pan. Once it starts boiling, add the sugar and cardamom and let it cook on low heat till it has thick syrup like consistency.
Chill it in a fridge.

Put a patty in a dessert bowl and pour the syrup over it, garnish with almonds and serve.


This is also my entry for VCC at My Dhaba hosted by VKN.

Happy Halloween!

13 comments:

  1. Priya S&S10:54 AM

    Looks YUMMM !
    Adding coconut milk is new to me. SHall try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog....!
    Making rasmalai with ricotta cheese looks interesting and worth trying.
    Nidhi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! How long do you keep it on the stove when mixing the ricotta and sugar? I am all into rasmalai these past few days and I love your idea of stuffing them with almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rasmalai with a twist!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to do Rasmalai with twist using Riccota cheese and baking the Patties at 250 for 15 mints is indeed a neat way that needs to be appreciated ..I will try making it in home now ...thanks for sharing , it looks so yum .... Mon bhore na aar photo dekhe , aei baar bolo kabe khabebe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rooma9:24 PM

    Interesting twist Mandira..... I guess we are all in a twisted mood these days hahaha... Never tried coconut milk in rasmalai... sounds like a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandira,
    The Rasmali looks sooooooo good, nice twist really. Have never tried coconut milk in rasmalai, that seems a nice twist too

    --sandeepa

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, It's utterly delicious ,ras malai is my fav.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Priya - this came out really well.

    Nidhi - Thanks. The ricotta cheese patties are a little different from the store bought ones, but just as delicious.

    Gini - I mixed it all together in stove top for about 5-7 min and then let the excess water drain off. Make the ricotta cheese thick. Thanks, do give it a try!

    Thanks Asha.

    Mantu - thank you for your kind words. Tumi jhokoni aashe, tokhoni khaabo...

    Rooma - Winter and festivals do that to people, I think :) Coconut adds a nice flavor, however I won't suggest soaking in it for too long. Just pour it a few minutes before serving.

    Sandeepa - Thanks. It came out really well. Lots of appreciation from friends who gave it a thumbs up!

    Lera - Thanks. Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandira,
    it does look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried these, you were right they were a little different, but tasty. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Gattina

    Nishi - I am so glad you tried and liked it. It does have a distinct flavor. It was over in a day, but I am going to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:20 AM

    The name really fits the dish. It was actually a twister.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...