October 02, 2006

Shubho Bijoya with Carrot Kheer!


Durga Pujo is the biggest festival for us - Bengalis. I know Durga Pujo is near when the days become crisp, there is a nip in the wind, and the sun shines a little brighter. Or you can take my friend's word for it who says "there is something in the air".

Growing up, we got two sets of clothes for each day of Pujo. One to wear in the morning and the other for the evening. It was the time to meet the old friends, make new friends, chat, run around, participate in dances, dramas and no studies.

As we grew up, we would meet our friends during Durga Puja. We strolled from one pandal to the other, ate kebabs and ice-creams and gossiped till wee hours. It was fun!So many memories...

This pujo season is coming to an end. So Shubho Bijoya everyone. May the coming year bring joy, happiness and lots of surprises. To celebrate it this year, I made something special - Carrot Kheer with carrots from my back..er potyard. Yes, carrots from my porch pots. This was also my first time trying carrot kheer and it came out great.


Ingredients:
10-12 small carrots (you can replace it with 4-5 medium carrots)
1/4 gallon milk (No Fat OK)
1 cup - sugar (you can adjust the sweetness to taste)
6-7 almonds (crushed)
2 tspoon ghee
cardamom powder - 1/2 tspoon


Method:
Wash the carrots, and grate them.
Boil the grated carrots with some water in a microwave for 7-8 minutes. Since these were tender carrots, they boiled in no time.
Make it into a paste in a food processor.
Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and lightly fry the carrot paste till the raw smell disappears.
Add the sugar and mix it well.
Now add the milk and cook it over low heat till it becomes thick and creamy.
Add the cardamom powder, and crushed almonds and let it cook for another 4-5 min.
Remove from heat and let it cool.
Serve it hot or cool.


This is my entry for JFI-Ghee & Butter being hosted by Cooking Medley!

Update: This is also my entry for the Green Blog Project - Winter Spring 2007.

17 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Love carrot kheer....Hope you had a nice Navratri and Dussehra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!
    Is that a bubble I see on the surface? pretty decorative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mandira,
    very good dish.and very good idea...i will try it for my son.Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sqrlnt5:11 PM

    Nice!![:)] I think some people might be very J considering the fact that your porchyard is more fertile than their backyard.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrots from the backyard.. why wasn't this in the green blog project?
    Carrot kheer looks good. Do u add any nuts in it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayshree - Thank you. Happy Dasshera to you too. It was a lot of fun.

    RP- Thanks, bubble was the only decoration I could do before it was all slurped up ;)

    Meena - do try, I hope your son will enjoy the carrot kheer.

    Sqrl/nt - ha ha... the backyard is also fertile if used :)

    Shaheen - Thanks for reminding me. I will send it to Inji for the Winter round up. I did add crushed almonds in the kheer, but you can add cashews or even pistachios.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this look very good.nice recipe.thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shubho Bijoya Mandira! Its funny...I was making carrot halwa when I checked your blog. But I have never had carrot halwa before, so I must try this sometime. Do drop in my blog sometimes, 'cuz I am a new blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good and nutritious with little fat in there!!:)) That's okay, I can deal with little fat!!:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool! I love carrot kheer and this looks wonderful with home-grown carrots. I would have never thought to grow carrots in a pot. I should try this next year because the rabbits always get the carrots that we try to grown in our backyard.

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. kheer with home grown carrots would surely increase the taste.I love carrot kheer and I make it a slightly different way... check out my post..
    http://premascookbook.blogspot.com/2006/09/carrot-kheer.html
    Thanks for sharing a new recipe of carrot kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog you have here. Gives me a whole new perspective in Indian-style cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mandira,
    i tried this carrot kheer today it really came out very well..thanks for sharing..i will post this in my blog and will give link to your post.thanks for sharing wonderful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. carrot kheer from home grown carrots !! wow ! looks great ! hope you had wonderful dussehra/durga puja.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am impressed with your carrot growing skills. I tried growing some carrots in my yard . They all grew very well but the carrots were very tiny. Growing them in pots is a neat idea. It must be very fulfilling to make kheer from homegrown carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy looking Kheer.. tastier with home grown Carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deepa - Thanks, do give it a try.

    Mystic - Welcome to the world of food blogging... isn't it fun?

    Asha - Just a little fat and a lot of nutrients. It is good for sweet tooth cravings :)

    Saffron - your have bunnies in your backyard. wow! do try pot gardening, I enjoyed the results :)

    Prema - your carrot kheer looks delicious too!

    My coffee- I hope you will try some of the recipes. There is a wide variety of indian recipes to choose from.

    Meena - I am so glad it turned out well. I loved the pictures!

    Thanks Krithika - Durga Puja was fun!

    Thanks Gini - Carrot kheer was extra sweet with homegrown carrots :)

    Thanks Jayshree

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...