November 28, 2006

Beginning & Ending with Pumpkin


My pumpkin recipes were rather limited until the Thanksgiving Luncheon at work. I like my aloo kumro chakka (aloo pumpkin sabzi) with Luchi (puri), kumro sheddo (boiled pumpkin) and the Pumpkin Sabzi with Peanuts & Coconut. Then I tried Pumpkin soup with its creamy and sweet taste, and the amazing Pumpkin Mousse, and knew I wanted both the dishes on my Thanksgiving Menu. So I asked Gail and Betsy for the recipes. And did I get great reviews. The best was from a friend who said "I wasn't a fan of pumpkin till now." That really made my day!

Ginger & Pumpkin Soup


This soup is really easy to make. I made it the night before, that way the ginger mixes well with pumpkin. For the soup, I used canned organic pumpkin which cut the prep time. You can also get a pumpkin and puree it for the soup.

Ingredients:
28 oz vegetable broth
29 oz pumpkin- puree
14 oz coconut milk
1 tbspoon + 1 tspoon ginger (grated)
2 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
8 tbspoon sugar (you can adjust the sugar if you want it less sweet)
1/4 tspoon red chilli
1 tbspoon cider vinegar
Salt to taste

Method:
Add all spices and salt to the vegetable broth in a wide pan and bring it to boil . Reduce heat and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Remove the cloves and the cinnamon stick.
Then add the coconut milk, pumpkin puree and ginger.
Let it simmer for another 10 minutes till everything mixes well.
Serve hot with garnished ginger.

Pumpkin Mousse with Whipped Cream & Glazed Pecans


Ingredients:
1/4 cups glazed Pecans (you can also make your own)
16 oz pumpkin pack - puree
1 pack instant vanilla pudding
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp allspice powder
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Method:
In a large bowl whisk pumpkin, pudding mix, milk, vanilla, cinnamon powder, allspice and sugar until it is blended well together.
In a separate bowl beat the cream till stiff peaks form. Keep one cup for garnishing and fold the rest cup in the pumpkin mix.
Refrigerate the mousse for an hour before serving to help it set.
Spoon the mousse into goblets. Top it with whipped cream and glazed pecans.
Enjoy!



This is my entry for the Festive Food Fair going at Anna's Morsels & Musings

21 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I never knew you could make so many things with pumpkin...... and definately didn't know about mouse!!!!! Great recipe Mandira!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Mandira...good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't take my eyes off that mousse recipe,will have to try it out soon. Well done Mandira, i know why your friend started liking pumpkin dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira, the pumpkin dishes look awesome, there are not many pumpkin recipes that are readily available so these are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mandira didn't know about these pumpkin recipes, they look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear Mandira,
    wow! I am drooling here , Pumkin Mousse looks mouth- watering , simply great ,I will try the mousse definetely
    hugs and smiles
    mantu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priya S&S11:44 AM

    Looks absolutely delicious Mandira !

    Iam not a big fan of pumpkin in curries but enjoy them in pies and these kinda desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. madira:) so many recipe... :( i have to check everything once i come back:)
    will try to take quick peek sometime soon...
    cheers
    supriya

    ReplyDelete
  9. so many recipes from pumpkin,you are great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mandira, your Thanksgiving dinner looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing these recipes... will stash them away for another festive dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks absolutely delicious! Will have to remember these recipes next time I start thinking about what to make with pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow dessert looks great
    i love pumpkin will sure prepare this

    ReplyDelete
  13. your Pumkin Mousse is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rooma, Ashwini - Thanks

    Archana- Thanks, the mousse was easy to make and tasted delicious.

    ISG- I know what you mean. I'm glad I found these recipes.

    Sandeepa - Thanks

    Mantu - Thanks, do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Priya - I love pumpkin pies, cheescakes, mousse too... yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Supriya - Thanks. Have a safe trip.

    Thanks Lakshmi. I got these recipes from my friends and tried them for the first time. They turned out really well.

    Linda - Thanks. The soup and the mousse do make it festive :)

    Monisha - Thanks.

    Jaya - welcome to ahaar. Do let me know when you try it.

    Mythreyee - Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! what a nice ending for a wonderful festival. Great going!
    Cheers, Nidhi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmmm...a delicious pumpkin Treat!Happy Holidays to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful beginning and ending, Mandira!:) Love anything with pumpkins.Looks wonderful and comforting.Happy holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Nidhi. The pumpkin did give it a festive feel.

    Lera - who knew there were so many recipes to choose from for Pumpkin. Happy Holidays to you too.

    Asha - Thanks. Looking forward to your Thanksgiving spread.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mandira.Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Hey your pumkin dishes are mindblowing.Too good.would like to try this pumpkin soup.Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soumya - Thanks. Do try and let me know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...