November 06, 2006

Pasta with Clams

Has it ever happened to you that no matter what recipe you choose, you don't have all the ingredients? It happened to me this weekend.

I have never made clams before, but have had them few times in a Konkani recipe when my friend Urvi makes it. When I saw fresh clams at the grocery shop I was tempted to try it. So I bought a dozen fresh clams and called Urvi. But, one phonecall later, I realized I didn't have kokum which gives a distinct flavor to the curry.

I decided to save that for a later date and try a pasta recipe from a cookbook, but didn't have all the ingredients for that specific pasta dish either. But that was no going to dampen my weekend spirit. I decided to make my own recipe. Pasta with clams with a distinct Asian fusion!

The pasta sauce is made with vegetables and clams simmered in cocunut milk and tomato sauce and served over multigrain organic pasta. Weekend luxury, if I can say so myself.


Ingredients:
Dozen fresh clams
1 medium red onion- finely chopped
2/3 cups tomato - finely chopped
3 cloves garlic - shredded
1" cube ginger - shredded
1/4 cup green beans- chopped
1/4 baby carrots - chopped
1 cup coconut milk
2 red chillis
1 bay leaf
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
pinch of turmeric (for clams)
pinch of rosemary
salt to taste
cilantro to garnish
freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces multigrain pasta
1 tbspoon olive oil


Method:
Steam clams in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Then take them out and clean them discarding one shell from each of them.
Now boil them again with little onion, turmeric and salt for 10-12 minutes till the clams are cooked. Drain water and set the clams aside.
Heat olive oil in a wide pan and temper it with red chillis, bay leaf and rosemary.
Add ginger and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
Add the onions and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook on closed lid for couple of minutes till they turn soft.
Pour the coconut milk and then add the vegetables. Add cumin powder, salt and let it cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and freshly ground black pepper.
In the meantime, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and pasta. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and add a tspoon of olive oil.

Serve pasta with Asian clam sauce.
This is my entry for WHB hosted by Meeta at What's for Lunch Honey?

15 comments:

  1. I'm not a seafood fan but I must say this looks really good, Mandira! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Mandira! This looks gorgeous. I love seafood and clams have got to be up there with my faves. Thank you for sending this for the WHB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never eaten clams before Mandira!I know I am boring.:))

    Great entry for the event! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of liked the fusion of pasta and coconut milk Mandira,its just that I have never eaten Clams ,but seeing these great pics may be I shud try it ...kokum is dried purple berry and is preferable ingredient of konkani cuisine ,but without it ,this recipe will be still A winner...great entry to WHB event !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi mandira,
    very nice pics, alas could eat it off the blog page
    Have never tried clams at home, have had only at restaurants.
    Maybe I sould get brave and get some clams home :) Do post the konkani recipe too
    --sandeepa

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice fusion Mandira.. I just love making linguini with red clam sauce but ur idea of coconut milk is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Vani, Meeta, Asha, Mantu, Sandeepa, & Shaheen. It was fun creating this pasta recipe with coconut and clams. It tasted delicious! Do give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat any meat or seafood but this looks like it would be just as good without the clams in it...thanks for a new pasta recipe!

    Cheers,Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love clams...so what if you didnt have all ingredients..you :-)
    Btw try substituting tamarind paste for kokum next time..not the same but still good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deepak - thanks and welcome to ahaar.

    Trupti- you can absolutely substitute clams with vegtables, paneer and even tofu! It'll taste great.

    Ashwini - Sometimes not having the ingredients can lead to some interesting recipes as I'm discovering. Will try it with tamarind paste next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does sound really good. Very nice entry. I love clams, but usually here they are too expensive. I do love ordering things with them in restaurants though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this dish!! I love all the ingredients, which are making me very hungry right now! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. clams are something I've never tried, going by your pics, i am really tempted to try someday..:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kalyn - Thanks. I found a deal at my grocery store and couldn't resist. This worked out really well.

    Sher - Thanks. I neved tried making pasta sauce with coconut milk, but now I know the taste, we will be eating a lot of pasta :)

    Lera - I first had it with a friend. If it was left to me, I don't know when I would have tasted it. Go out with a friend who eats clams. You can then taste it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...