December 12, 2006

Healthy sabzi for this week- Red Chard

I first tasted this simple mixed-veg dish this weekend at my friend's place. It was so delicious I had to recreate it the next day. But I didn't have eggplant (one of the ingredients) so I made my changes to the recipe. And have come to the conclusion that this recipe works with any vegetables as long as it has a few main ingredients like chard and potatoes. It is cooked over low heat with cheese and paanch phoron and the vegetables soak all the flavors into a wonderful mix.

Red chard is healthy and is high in vitamins, A, K and C, thiamine and riboflavin, not to mention iron, potassium and magnesium. It also has fiber and is low on calories. No wonder, it is my healthy vegetable of the week! If you want to know more information on red chard, click here.

So you see, this is also a great way to get your proteins and vitamins in one go. It will be a great dish to warm up those cold days and hey, it brightens the sunny ones too! I like to taste my vegetables so I cut them chunky. If you prefer a smooth texture, you can cut them smaller.


Ingredients: Serves 2-3
1 bunch Red Chard - chopped (you can also use spinach or swiss chard)
2-3 Red Potatoes - boiled (you can also use a mix of potato and eggplant)
6-8 Radish - chopped
1 red onion - chopped
8-10 mushrooms - chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tspoon paanch phoron
1/4 tspoon cumin powder
1/4 tspoon coriander powder
4 small cubes of cheddar cheese
1 tbspoon Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Heat oil and temper with paanch phoron.
Add the garlic and saute for a minute.
Add the onion and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the chard, followed by radish and mushrooms.
Let it cook on medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes till the leaves start wilting.
Mash the potatoes. If you are using eggplant, mash it too. Add it to the pan and mix it well together. Now add the cumin and coriander powder and let it cook on low heat 4-5 minutes.
Add the cheese, salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes on low heat till it becomes thick and creamy.
It's ready to eat.
Serve warm with nan, chapati or paratha.

I am starting a new series "Healthy sabzi of the week" and will be featuring one vegetable every week.

16 comments:

  1. Indeed very healthy....and you also added cheese to it,love that!

    Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouthwatering dish.I love the texture of red chard.It's so creamy and delicious!:))Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.....it looks so good. Will try it soon.
    Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandira,subzi looks good.never tried red chard before.Will do it this time.Thanks for the simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey never tried red chard before but looks good and healthy too. Thanks for the "healthy Sabzi" of this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hai mandira
    thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving ur great comments there.this is the first time i am visiting ur blog.u have a nice blog over here.

    and coming to this dish..it is looking good.will try this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandira:
    Loved this recipe...very healthy and i am sure does taste equally good too.
    Thanx for sharing
    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mandira,

    Recipe looks delicious, and that photo of the vegetables brings spring to mind -- love the sunlight on the chard :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trupti - yes, the cheese (even a little quantity) makes it creamy and goes really well with the vegetables. Do try.

    Asha - Thanks. Chard or spinach is one of the main ingredients and makes it a delicious sabzi. :)

    Bhargavi - thanks, let me know how it turns out.

    Vini K- Red Chard has a stronger taste than spinach, but I like it. It also goes well as a substitute in spinach dal. Try and let me know your thoughts.

    Sandeepa - thanks. I like the taste of red chard. You can even plain saute the chard with garlic and olive oil. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swapna - Thanks and welcome to ahaar. I hope you will try some of the recipes from here.

    Seema - Yes, it tasted very good and I am already planning to make it next week :)

    Linda - Thanks. I made it over the sunny weekend :) It's back to gray and dark skies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good recipe Mandira. Very healthy indeed! I will look forward for your next entry in this series

    ReplyDelete
  12. Krishnaarjuna - Thanks. I will post the next recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:53 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mandira, this is Mythreyee of try this recipe blog. Cookforhealth.blogspot.com is my new blog. The main Idea of this blog is to spread the awareness of 'Cooking for Health' for the Indian Community.

    I choose a theme and publish a round up of recipes and articles relating to the theme.

    The Current theme is Leafy Vegetables and it would be great if you can send your permanent link for this Red Chard sabzi to cookforhealth@gmail.com. I shall be delighted to add your recipe in the Jan 10th Roundup. For more details visit http://cookforhealth.blogspot.com

    thanks,
    Mythreyee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mythreyee- Sorry I missed your event. Hope to participate in another round soon. This is a simple and healthy recipe and goes well with roti or rice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I jsut made this subji. it is really amazing, we managed to finish the whole pan! i substituted kale for swiss chard and used sweet potatoes instead of normal potatoes, which added a flair to the dish. I also found that I needed to add a cup of water since it was very dry. thanks for sharing, it was great!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...