December 07, 2006

Mushroom & Green Bean Casserole


It was 6F outside and I was freezing by the time I reached home. After I warmed myself up with some ginger tea and aloo bhujia, I wanted something warm and fresh for dinner. As you have probably seen, my midweek dinners are quick, easy and hearty.

I searched my fridge and pantry and saw I had all the ingredients for a bean and mushroom casserole. I chopped the veggies, fried the onions, and toasted a chapati to top the casserole, heated the oven and my dinner was ready in an hour along with a toasty kitchen. Double benefits of baked dinner on a cold evening! And the chapati topping was a real discovery. The chapati bits soaked all the creamy sauce and was delicious.


Ingredients:
1 lb green beans - chopped to bite-size pieces & boiled
1 lb baby portabella mushrooms - chopped
1 can - cream of mushroom soup
2/3 cup - milk
1 tspoon butter
1tbspoon red table wine
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 chapati- toasted in oven for 15-20 min
1 onion - sliced thinly and fried
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Heat the oven to 350deg F.

Mix everything in a baking dish.


Break the toasted chapati and fried onions on top.

Bake at 350 deg F for 35 min. Take the casserole out and let it cool. Serve warm. The second plate in the picture belongs to Aswin who insists on eating everything with ketchup, whether it is scrambled eggs or casserole! This is our midweek dinner.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Mandira! Wish I could eat all those goodies in your toasty kitchen!:) Be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira those Mushroom & Green Bean Casserole looks succulent.Its really a simple recipe too. That snap made my mouth water.Yesterday it was 2F here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmm Mandira, that idea of toasting the chapati is novel, really a good idea, tastes like a Khakra is it ?
    The dinner of beans and the mushroom looks great
    I liked the ketchup idea. I too am a fan but Maggi Hot & Sweet only and i also like my dash of tabasco on all things not Indian

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Mandira,
    good idea of toasting chapati....
    this green beans and mashroom cassserole looks yummy!
    good dish for winter !
    -Pooja

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really good idea Mandira.
    Mushroom n beans combination is new to me. Will try it soon.
    Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. rooma2:45 AM

    HEy, nice combo mandira!!!! And the idea of toasted chapati is great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative to top it off with Chapati pieces..looks good I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asha- You are welcome anytime. Just give me enough warning to clean up the mess ;)

    Sree- Wow, 2F! Something nice and hot is what I crave when I see the freezing weather outside. This casserole is quick and tastes delicious too.

    Sandeepa - The cripsy, toasty chapati tasted delicious. It'll also taste good with salsa, guacomole or hummus.

    Pooja - Thanks. It is a good idea for that lone chapati in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bhargavi - Do try, it's simple and tastes good too.

    Rooma, Trupti - Thanks. It was on the spur of the moment spark. It paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandira:
    Mushrooms man I luv them. loved this dish too....Mandira u have a very good collection of recipes in here gal!!
    Thanx a bunch
    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thannks Seems, this is easy to good and tastes great. Do try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this wonderful recipe. This is nice mushroom recipe. I was waiting for such a recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...