January 18, 2007

GBP - Pasta with Garlic Greens, Artichokes & Olives

I planted garlic after some articles recommended it as a winter plant and I was not disappointed. Within a week, little shoots were springing up and in another two weeks I had my garlic greens ready. When it's cold and grey outside, it's fun to come home and see the greenery.

Since this is so quick and easy, I already have my second batch of garlic greens ready and am also hoping to have garlic for the end of the season. For first timers, this is a great way to get started.

I made pasta using the garlic greens and tossed it with artichokes and black olives. Hmm, it was delicious and filling. I have saved some artichokes and olives and am waiting for the second round of greens. Or maybe I'll try it with cilantro which has two whole leaves :)

Ingredients:
4 Garlic Greens - chopped
4-5 artichoke hearts - chopped (I used canned artichokes)
8-10 Black pitted olives - chopped (I used canned olives)
1 tspoon lemon juice
1/2 tspoon - cumin seed powder
1/4 tspoon dry chopped rosemary
1/2 tspoon black pepper - freshly ground
1 tbspoon olive oil
1/3 cup water
salt to taste
Your choice of Pasta - I used wheat pasta


Method:
Heat oil in a pan and add the garlic greens and saute till you can smell the garlic.
Add artichokes and olives and mix them well together. Then add the cumin seed powder, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Add water and let it cook on low medium for 7-8 min till everything mixes together.
Stir in the lemon juice and take the sauce off the heat.
In a separate pan boil water with olive oil and salt. Add the pasta and cook as per the instructions on the box.
Toss the pasta with the sauce and serve hot.

This is my second entry for the Winter/Spring 2007 Green Blog Project.
My first entry here.

15 comments:

  1. Looks great..I should try planting garlic greens too.Looks delicious and i love olives...So this is just perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira,
    you inspire me!!! My house herb plant (Thai basil) can't make it through in this winter... now I'll try garlic!
    Your choice of the ingredients in this pasta is super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Garlic greens...They taste so good in kadhis..and a plain sabzi made out of garlic greens is yummy too!

    Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great combo Mandira!Sounds delish.I tried growing something without any success.Garlic greens looks great,may be I could grow some.I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mandira,

    this is great. i think you should check out this cool site that is promoting ethnic food in a community experience - it is www.ifood.tv

    they have good indian recipes etc and it allows users to actually post recipe, food travel and other VIDEOS. i saw this chef make some great indian style turkey some while ago

    http://www.ifood.tv/?q=node/309 and also
    http://www.ifood.tv/?q=node/1015
    http://www.ifood.tv/?q=node/1016

    cheers, foodies

    sk (jzzyby@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mandira,

    Your pasta with garlic greens looks fantastic! You are inspiring me to plant some garlic for myself! I bet those little greens have been extra-cheering lately in all that weather.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are inspiring many people to plant garlic, including me!! Then I can make yummy meals like this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. really a great dish with good ingredients. i love it .
    thanks for sharing :)
    -Pooja

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi mandira

    nice dish..i love noodles..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  10. garlic greens sounds so exotic and past seems like a perfect counterfoil to it.So how is ur winter gardening going on? i just have my jasmin and money plant. no veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, looks perfect. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome!! I guess they would have a mild garlic flavor, right? or strong? Anyway good to see that it grows indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I had no idea garlic would grow inside. This is so very cool...err...hot (isint that the word you want to hear sitting inside all winter?) :-)

    Very neat! Going to plant some soon and see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maheshwari - this was a wonderful discovery. Do try.

    Gattina - thanks, I feel the same way when I visit your blog. Do try growing the garlic greens. They're delicious without the strong garlic smell.

    Trupti - I'm going to try it in kadhi next, thanks for the idea.

    Asha - do try the greens. I hope you will send a recipe for the Green Blog Project.

    Thanks SK - will definitely visit ifood and check out the recipes.

    Linda - yes, my plants cheer me up when I am come home, esp now. Do try the garlic greens. They're ready to use in about 2 weeks.

    Sher - Thanks, I am looking forward to all the garlic green recipes for GBP. I think it will be great to have a variety to choose from :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pooja, Swapna - thanks. I liked the flavor and the taste. I hope you'll enjoy it too.

    Shaheen - My winter veggie garden is growing slowly. I have cayenne pepper, garlic greens, cilantro, thyme and some baby carrot seedlings. I'm hoping they'll survive the wintry months. The other plants are doing well too. I've placed them close to the windows in the warmest rooms and they are doing OK.

    Mythreyee - Thanks

    RP - Yes, I planted them in pots and they were ready in two weeks. They have a garlic smell, but not overpowering. Similar to chives, I guess. Do try.

    Inji - It's wonderful to see you here, hope you're doing well. Yes, my plants give me good company in these snowy months. They are definitely blazing the scene :) Do try.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...