January 11, 2007

Healthy Sabzi of the Week - Zucchini


Now that the last new year sweets, cookies and other goodies have been consumed, new year resolutions have been made and days have a semblance of routine, and I have started complaining about the weather, I know I need to jumpstart my week. So, I am back with the Healthy Sabzi of the Week series.

Let me tell you I was surprised by what I found. I knew that it was a low calorie vegetable, has moderate amounts of potassium and magnesium. But what I didn't know is that it is a good source of Vitamin C. Now who would have thought that! For nutritional and other benefits, click here and here.

This is a easy potato and zucchini recipe. It has nigella (kalonji) as one of the main seasoning and is served dry or with a thick curry. It tastes great in both versions, but I prefer the dry one. The sabzi goes well with parathas.


Ingredients: Serves 2-3
2-3 medium red potatoes
2- zucchini
2 dry red chillis
2 - green chillis
1/2 tspoon nigella seeds
1/4 tspoon methi seeds
small cube - ginger - chopped thinly
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds powder
1/2 tspoon coriander seeds powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon olive oil
1/4 cup water
salt to taste


Method: Clean and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
I like to leave some of the zucchini rind. So I remove the rind of in alternate strips. Cut zucchini into medium cubes.
Heat olive oil in a pan and temper it with nigella seeds, methi seeds, red and green chillis. Add the ginger in a couple of minutes.
Add the potaoes and saute it with a closed lid for 3-4 minutes. Add turmeric, cumin and coriander powder and mix it well.
Now add the zucchini, salt and water and let it cook for 8-10 minutes (closed lid) on medium heat till the water evaporates or the potato is cooked.

Serve hot with roti, or paratha.

10 comments:

  1. wow, that's inventive! I've never tried zucchini cooked the indian way. but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Cakes and bakes!!Tell me about it Mandira!!:D Unfornately,I got to make a dessert for Sankranti!Oh well!!:))
    I love Zuccini!It's so soft and juicy veggie.Dish looks great and I will try this.I add this Pulaos as well!YUM!!Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good and easy recipe Mandira, Will try it soon. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalonji sounds yummy. I am going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee7:51 PM

    What a combo!!!!! Zuchini and potato!!!!! Sounds interesting!!!! :)

    www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really interesting. Something new for me. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed healthy subzi with zucchini and all. thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh...Thank you for that! It looks delicious and healthy and I need a recipe like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacob - the zucchini tastes in this sabzi. Do try.

    Asha - I grilled zucchini, baked it and even made curries with it. Haven't tried it in a salad... will look for a recipe :)

    Nidhi, Lakshmik, Coffee, Vcuisine, Sri, Sher - Thanks. It's a simple recipe and easy to cook. The kalonji tastes really good in the sabzi and adds a unique flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made this multiple times now...this is one of my favorite weeknight quick recipe! love it....very easy to make and tasty too. Thanks, Mandira.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...