January 03, 2007

Mulligatawny Soup

Ever since I saw Kramer in Seinfeld try Mulligatawny Soup in the Soup Nazi episode, I was curious to try it. Then I found out that the name is originally derived from Indian Millagu Thanni (pepper water). Hmm. More research showed that pepper is no longer a main ingredient but coconut milk is. Then Ashwini at Food for Thought announced Jihva for Coconut and gave me the perfect excuse to make this soup.

According to historians, Mulligatawny Soup was modified by the 18th century Britishers and it quickly became a favorite. One of the favorite versions of the recipe is recorded by Eliza Acton in her 1845 cookbook "Modern Cookery for Private Families".
More history here and here.

I looked at several recipes in different websites and finally chose the one at allrecipes.com. And I have to confess, I took the easy way out. I made several changes to the ingredients, put them in the slow cooker and left the house. When I came back after 4-5 hours, the house was filled with the aroma of the Mulligatawny soup. The soup was thick, creamy and delicious. And as you have probably guessed, I did not put my soup in the blender. Instead, I enjoyed the chunky soup with some nice toasted rye bread.

Here is how I made it.


Ingredients:
1 tspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic - grated
2 tspoon grated ginger
2 green chillis - slit
1/4 tspoon cloves powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tspoon cumin seed powder
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
4 pods cardamom - crushed
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 broccoli crown - chopped
2 carrots- chopped
1 large potato - peeled and chopped in small cubes
2-3 celery sticks -chopped
1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 cup black beans (you can also use any lentils of your choice)
2/3 cup rice - half cooked
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
1 tbspoon lemon juice
1 tbspoon fresh cilantro - chopped
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste


Method:
The method is the easy part if you decide to give the slow cooker a try.
Heat the oil in a pan and temper it with ginger, garlic, chillis. Then added the cardamom and cinnamom. Saute it for a couple of minutes. Do not brown the onions.
Add the spice mix to the slow cooker.
Then add the vegetables, beans, rice, vegetable broth, coconut milk, water, turmeric powder , cumin and coriander powder, cloves powder, lime juice and salt.
Put the slow cooker on low setting and let it cook for 6-7 hours as per your cooker directions.
Stir well to mix it together.
Garnish with fresh cilantro, pepper and serve.

This hearty soup is my entry for Jihva for Coconut being hosted by Ashwini at fabulous Food for Thought.

14 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the title of your post, I thought "Kramer!" I must admit, I've always wanted to try this soup, so now I really must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milagu Tanni is right! British went and screwed it up as usual!:D

    Your version looks great,healthy and hearty soup!Enjoy.Happy 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandira,

    Yes,milagu tanni it is!have to try your version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira

    The soup looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lots of ingredients, Sure to try this after my weekend grocery shopping. I am sure its a healthy treat. thanks for the wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow lots of stuff goes into this soup. I had known the name but didn't know what it meant
    very diff kind of entry with Coconut

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm this looks yummy..Wanna try this for sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Mandira,

    the soup looks delicious ..I had no clue that the soup's name has an indian origin..Iam going to try this as well

    i remember that episode of seinfield and the soup nazi guy ..hilarious

    Have a happy new yr :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried this soup....but always wondered what it was made of..and how the heck it got that name....now I know, thanks to you!

    Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coffee5:46 AM

    What a healthy soup!!!!!! But what if you don't have a slow cooker?????

    www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mandira, My hubby always used to mention that he had a very tasty Mullingatawny Soup in Ny and somehow I never got the previlidge to try it out. Thanx for the recipe now I can make it right at home.
    Thanx
    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sher - LOL, that was my first thought and had to mention it in my post :)

    Thanks Asha - it is a complete meal and tastes delicious too. Do try.

    ViniK, LakshmiK- Thanks. It tasted delicious. Do try when you get a chance.

    Mythreyee, Sandeepa, Soumya - this includes veggies, lentils, rice and great seasoning. Complete one pot meal!

    Meenal - that Seinfeld episode is one of my favorites. :)

    Trupti - I too found out the Indian connection recently. But it looks nothing like the original version. Food fusion, you can probably call it.

    Coffee- You can also cook it on stove top. I will post the alternate version soon. Check back.

    Thanks Seema - Maybe you can even surprise your DH with the soup one evening ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey,
    Great to know that you are a Seinfeld fan too !!!!! That episode is one of the best in Season 7.

    The soup looks great!! I feel like trying it away.

    Thanks for posting such a nice one.

    Cheers,
    Mythili

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mythlli - Yeah, that episode cracks me up every time :). Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...