February 07, 2007

Healthy sabzi of the week - Cauliflower (Gobi)

It has been really cold here the past two weeks and I have been trying to minimize my outings. For the middle of the week dinner, I wanted to make aloo gobi matar to go with whole grain flat breads, but my pantry had one potato left. Not to be deterred, I decided to make a few variations and change it to gobi matar - cauliflower peas sabzi. And cauliflower is my Healthy Sabzi of the week entry.

Growing up, I was told cauliflower was good for health. Though I never had concrete research answers, but I ate my gobi in various sabzis and curries. As I found out later, it IS good for health. Research has shown that it reduces the occurrence of cancer (read here) and with high content of Vitamin C, it fights rheumatoid arthritis (more here). Besides, it's just delicious!

This is a simple sabzi which I like in a semi-dry form. I keep the masalas on the lesser side, so one can taste the the sweetness of peas and the distinct taste of cauliflower. You can change the consistency based on your preference.

1 caulflower florets - I used one pack of organic frozen cauliflower florets
1 cup peas - I used frozen
1/2 onion - chopped finely
1/2 tomato - chopped finely
1 tspoon ginger -grated
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon cumin-coriander powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
1 dry red chilli
2/3 cup water
salt to taste
fresh cilantro to garnish

Microwave the cauliflower florets and peas till they are semi-boiled.
Heat the oil in a big pot and temper it with cumin seeds, mustard seeds and the red chilli.
Once they've browned, add ginger and saute for a minute then adding onions.
Stir and saute till the onions begin to brown before adding the chopped tomatoes.
Add the cauliflower florets and the peas. Season with turmeric and cumin-coriander powder.
Let it all cook together for a couple of minutes on closed lid till the masalas mix well with the vegetables.
Add the water and salt and cook for 5-6 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti, parathas, rice or flat breads.


  1. Mandira,
    Cauliflower Sabzi looks so very easy and healthy. I liked the idea of semi cooking them in microwave first. I do that too very often.

  2. Hi Mandira,dish looks mouthwatering.I love the taste of Gobi,specially in Pulaos.Subzi looks perfect,thanks!:)

  3. Not only is this healthy, it's looks so good! I love the way you combined all the ingredients--and the ease in cooking it. Excellent!

  4. Subzi looks perfect...it is healthy..I too microwave them first.

  5. Hi Mandira

    Yes, definitely a healthy recipe. I love such food.

  6. Hi Mandira
    Even I like fulkopi a lot
    usually we make a dry gobi-mttar sabzi with just a little panch phoron and green chillies for tempering, no other masala except haldi

  7. Seema - Yes, defrosting and semi-cooking the frozen vegetables is quick and easy. Especially during the week when I'm hungry as soon as I am back from work :)

    Asha - thanks. I like Gobi too...

    Sher - thank you, the nutty taste of cumin and citrusy taste of coriander complements the cauliflower and peas.

    Sri - thanks Sri, isn't that great? I have even boiled milk and sometimes potatoes in microwave.

    Thanks Lakshmik.

    Sandeepa - your version sounds good too, will try that next time.

  8. Subzi is quite poplar in our town, but it is named differently! There are more varieties of this dish, not only limited to cauliflower. In fact, you can use broccoli or anything a bit sturdy and hard to chew to perfect this recipe!

  9. This is very delightful native cuisine in our place. I am happy it is featured here! Thanks a lot.

  10. I love this recipe - my mom makes the best :)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...