February 27, 2007

Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato & Onion Soup


So many times my conversation starts about food, whether it is about new research about a particular ingredient, or new recipes that I've been wanting to try or have tried, places to eat or local organic fruits and vegetables among other things. And having this space to talk about all these things has been wonderful.

While there winter may be on its last leg, there's still plenty of time to try new soup recipes. I have been wanting to try soup which encapsulates all the tastes - sweet, tangy, hot, spicy and filling and hearty. Yeah! you get it, I am being ambitious. So I poked around, thought about ingredients and decided to try something new from my imagination.

To celebrate my 100th post, I made this spicy sweet potato and onion soup where the sweetness of the roasted onions and sweet potatoes contrast with spicy green chillies. Added to that is the aroma of ginger and cloves and finally is blended with the tanginess of fresh lemons to make this hearty delicious soup. It spiced up a cold, gray afternoon!


Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 medium Yellow Onions
2 green chillies
1" cube Ginger
1 tspoon of Fennel, Cumin Seeds, Cloves mix (I roasted equal amounts and ground it to a powder)
5 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 tspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 tbspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Whole Cilantro - to garnish

Method:

Chop the sweet potatoes and onions. Roast them for 20-25 min or till the sweet potatoes are cooked and the onions begin to turn brown at the edges.

I also roasted the ginger and the chillies with potatoes and onions. It worked wonderfully.


Puree the potato, onion, ginger and chillies in the blender till it mixes well together. Add the mixture to a wide-bottomed pot.

Add vegetable broth, lemon zest, fennel-cumin seeds-cloves powder, salt and let it cook on low medium heat for about 20 min or till the broth reduces and everything mixes well to a thick consistency.

Add the lemon juice, let it cook for 2-3 minutes and take the soup off the heat.

Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.

This is my entry to Soup Fest going on at A Veggie Venture hosted by wonderful Alanna.

If you haven't yet, check out the entries. I'm already getting ready to try a couple this week! Thanks for hosting Alanna.

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful color and a great entry for Alanna.Love it.
    At first I thought it was for JFI and then Vaishali wanted just Potatoes and the sweet ones..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Lovely presentation of the soup. Perfect for the soup fest.
    Chk here for a thread on low calorie soups:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/miscellaneous-recipes/4390-low-calorie-soups-reduce-weight.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. soup looks great Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the roasted garlic soup i tried last month..urs looks very beautiful..loved that colour and the picture too...and very pretty mat :)

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful warm lighting on the lemon, onion and sweet potato. Good use of light and shadow composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great soup and congrats on the 100th post

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely picture of the soup! It looks so yummy. And congratulations on your 100th post! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely picture and an equally yummy soup. 100 posts? congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful presentation and loved the color. I have never tried soup with sweet potatoes. Will try soon.
    Thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great recipe! I love your blog, so many recipes I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your 100th post Mandira.Sweet potato soup is new to me and it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting and look so nice. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations for your 100th post! What a great idea, roasting the vegetables! I don't know why I never thought of it, I just boil them. I'm sure the flavour is much better with roasting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious looking soup, Mandira.

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good looking soup it is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats a wonderful soup. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi mandira
    soup looks tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Asha. The idea of entering this for JFI didn't cross my mind... ever. ;)

    Sanjana - Thanks. Will definitely try the low calorie soups.

    ViniK - Thanks

    Shn - Wow, that sounds delicious. Do post the recipe. Thanks, the mat is a gift from Prague.

    Thanks Amrita. It was all natural light, in the kitchen.

    Thanks Sandeepa - time flies. I didn't know it was 100th post, but blogger reminded me :)

    Sher- thank you. I love reading everyone's comments too!

    Hema, Seema - thank you. The soup does have a beautiful color and tastes even better.

    Thanks Helene. Do let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks Prema. It was my first time trying this soup. But will be making it again, soon :)

    Thanks Vcuisine.

    Shilpa - Yes, roasting gives both the sweet potato and the onions wonderful flavor which enhances the soup.

    Sailaja, RP, Mythreyee, Swapna - Thanks. The soup did turn out good and is healthy too. Not a drop of oil. in it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mandira,
    Soup looks creamy!!! Nice presentation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. mandira, i never get past baking the sweetpotato. i end up eating it as it is with butter and brown sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mandira, Just write why you are joining this protest. Mention the words Yahoo Yahoo India for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Maqndira,
    Looks yup.Best for these cold winters...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice colour of the soup. Am sure it tastes great too! Congrats on the century!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mandira, would you believe it, I bought sweet potatoes today and will be making your soup over the weekend! I'll link back to you, but it looks like my sweet potatoes won't be as orangey as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful soup, Mandira! That's a magic touch with sweet potatoes you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love sweet potatoes, and this sounds delicious! I will have to bookmark the recipe to try when the weather gets cooler...

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a lovely colored soup..sounds delicious
    -Sushma

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear mandira,
    what abeautiful way to celebrate 100 post ...way to go ..
    lovely soup ..
    wishing you and aswin ,happy holi..
    enjoy ...
    hugs and smiles
    jaya

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks MT, it was delicious.

    Shaheen - I have tried several different soup recipes during this winter and this was quite a discovery. Do try.

    Thanks Inji - will do.

    Soumya, Jyothsna - Thanks. This soup turned out creamy without any fat. Now that was one of my favorite parts. :)

    Shilpa - Do let me know how it turns out. I was reading that Yams have a similar texture and are not as orangey.

    Linda - I'm just beginning to discover my magic touch. ;)

    Christine - Do try when you get a chance. It has a wonderful mix of flavors.

    Thanks Sushma

    Jaya - thank you. I hope you had a wonderful holi with lots of mithai and colors :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...