March 08, 2007

Baked Swordfish with mushrooms & broccoli


I love trying new fish recipes. This is a big change for me from just an year ago, when I was unsure about cooking fish at home. Since then I have tried baking, frying, I've tried poaching or my all-time favorite comforting macher jhol. And in this process I have discovered so many different fish - tilapia, catfish, pompano, haddock, seabass and now swordfish.

We got swordfish from the grocery store after a friend recommended it. No doubt it was expensive and a treat for us. The fish was marinated in lemon juice with freshly ground black pepper, turmeric, and ginger and topped with toasty sesame seeds and chopped cilantro. It was delicious, the nuttiness of sesame seeds, the freshness of cilantro and the tangy lemon enhanced the flavor of the swordfish steak. The baked vegetables were a bonus! I like mixing different spices and this was one of those trial moments with a great outcome.

Ingredients:
2 swordfish steaks
1 broccoli crown
1 pack baby portabella mushrooms
1/4 tspoon - turmeric powder
3/4 tspoon - freshly ground black pepper powder
1 1/4 tspoon - sesame seeds
1 1/4 tspoon - ginger (minced)
1 tbspoon lemon juice
6-8 stalks of cilantro - chopped
1 tspoon olive oil
salt to taste


Method:
Marinate swordfish steaks with lemon juice, black pepper, turmeric, salt and ginger for 3-4 hours.
In the meantime, toast the sesame seeds till they have a nutty aroma and chop the cilantro.
Heat the oven to 350 deg F and cut the broccoli and mushrooms.
Oil a baking dish, put the vegetables and then the fish steaks. Sprinkle sesame seeds and the chopped cilantro on the fish and vegetables.
Let it cook for 35-40 min till the fish flakes easily.


Serve warm.
This is my entry to Weekend Herb Kitchen hosted by newly wed Anna at Morsels and Musings. It seems that I have been sending several cilantro recipes to WHB. I have to start looking at other herbs!

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm, nice Indian twist to the swordfish. I tend to make salmon like this, with a little bit of turmeric, chilli powder and lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy with Broccoli and mushrooms,great healthy dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have nice baked fish dishes. Since my parents are here now we always tend to make the Jhol or the Kalia or the Jhaal.
    But after they leave I shall revert to some of these baked dishes

    Tomake ami weekend e mail kore debo, ok ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have nt tasted the swordfish..may be I will try with some other fish...

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouth watering!! Can you send me some?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummmy!!!! mandira ,it's quite a balanced food with fish and veggies,lovely idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love swordfish and this looks like a splendid way to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I love eating fish, but not very good at cooking it. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it out when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound good. I like swordfish quite a lot, but I think I've only cooked it on a grill. This sound like a nice way to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always thought swordfish is very dry stuff, but marinated it´s a difference. Thanks for shring the recipe with us. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mallika - Thank you. The sesame seeds added this nutty flavor to the fish which I enjoyed. Do try this when you get a chance.

    Asha - Taste and health all combined in one- isn't that wonderful? :)

    Sandeepa - wow, machers jhal sounds delicious. Enjoy maaer haather khabar :)

    Shn - It's a firm, white fish with a strong taste. You could even try this with halibut, cod or even salmon. Let me know how it turns out.

    Jyothsna - Thanks. I'll save you a piece the next time I make it:)

    Lera - yeah, a complete meal in one go and tastes amazing too.

    Sher - thanks, this was my first time making swordfish. Next time it'll be with barbecue sauce on the grill. I'm looking forward to summer.

    Anh - I was like that, now I want to try different recipes along with different kinds of fish.

    Kalyn - I agree, the fish is perfect for grilling. I am going to try it as soon as it gets warmer outside.

    Helene - Marinating and baking it kept the fish moist. With lime, cilantro and sesame seeds it was a great combination.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...