March 20, 2007

Garlic & Sesame Naan

I am enjoying participating Monthly Blog Patrolling. Not only does it give me an opportunity to try some of the recipes in my bookmarks, it is also giving me self-control to take pictures before I finish the delectable recipes! :)

One of the things in my to-try list is Naan. And I tried Archana's pan grilled naan. Her easy to follow instructions were great. I made a batch with sesame seeds and another with crushed garlic. It went really well with alu ghobi. We finished the entire batch in one sitting.

Here are my notes - I mixed all purpose flour with whole wheat flour in a half-half proportion. It took double the time for the dough to rise, but it's winter.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tspoon salt
1 tspoon sugar
1 tspoon active dry yeast
4 tbspoon butter
2 tbspoon yogurt
1/2 cup water
1 tspoon sesame seeds
1 tspoon crushed garlic

Dissolve yeast and sugar in the water till it dissolves completely and bubbles appear. Mix flour and salt together and then add yogurt, 2 tbspoon butter and the yeast mix.

Knead till it mixes well together. Put the dough in a warm place and let it rise till it doubles in size. I kept the dough over warm water (just like a chocolate double boiler) and it worked well.

Divide the dough in equal parts. I rolled it and then hand stretched each naan. Brush some butter on top, sprinkle sesame seeds and/or garlic. Heat a grill or flat pan, brush it lightly with butter and cook the naan. Turn it over as it starts puffing up. Brush butter in a few places and cook for another 2-3 min.

Serve warm. This is my entry for Monthly Blog Patrolling - Let's Roll. Thanks Coffee for hosting.


  1. Coffee11:20 PM

    Naan seems to be in the season on all blogs!!!!!!!! Yours looks absolutely delicious!!!! Can I take a bite please. ;)

    Thanks MAndira..... lovely entry . :)

  2. It looks delicious, Mandira! You're inspiring me to give this a shot. I need to buy a cast iron grill pan soon.

  3. That's a nice entry for MBP..Haven't tried Naan uptill now..

  4. One more recipe for naan to try! I'm getting hungry all over again!!

  5. Mmmmmmm, absolutely lovely. Do u think it would work without yeast? Like a tandoori roti?

  6. Good one Mandira,easy recipe and a great entry.
    Hope you have seen my Naan?! No rolling ,only stretching!;D

  7. Wow Mandira.. I tried Archana's naan too and was about to post it for MBP. They turned out wonderful isn't it? .. nice entry.

  8. i guess i must try making naan now. looks so soft and delicious.

  9. i like to prepare nann.this one is looking good.i have never tried adding garlic to nann.will try this time.

  10. Yum!!! I've been wanting to make naan too!!!! Maybe there should be a naan event! :):) Yours looks FABULOUS!

  11. ur new header looks so delicious! And what a wonderful partner u have who wants to cook. Naan has been on my mind too but haven't made it as yet.

  12. These look light and fluffy. I love garlic and the addition of sesame is just too perfect. I think I need to get myself a grill pan soon!

  13. Mandira dear,
    Finally made it to the GBP.Phew!

    Thanks :)

  14. Hi Mandira,
    Good looking Naan. Your template looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

  15. Coffee- I would have offered, but they are all gone ;) will surely keep aside from the next batch!

    Nupur - thanks. I was amazed at how simple the process turned out to be. Do try.

    Swapna - Summer might be a good time to try it along with fresh grilled veggies.

    Jyothsna - do try, it's delicious.

    Mallika - Without yeast it won't have the fluffiness and stretchiness of naan. You can try it with baking soda. I have seen a few recipes with it.

    Asha - looks great. I thought of only stretching but chickened out at the last minute.

    Prema - yes, it was quite delicious and everyone enjoyed it.

  16. SC- it was soft and the sesame seeds and garlic flavor made it even better.

    Swapna - do try, it was quite a success :)

    Sher - what a great idea! why don't you host the naan event? It'll give me a chance to make another batch :)

    Shaheen - thanks. I just changed the header, am yet to make other changes. Let's see how that goes. I'm going to try naan and fresh grilled veggies next.

    Meeta - thanks. It was delicious and went really well with the spicy alu ghobi.

    Thanks Inji dear! Perfect namesake entry from you. :)

    MT - thanks. Somehow the header looks different in IE and Firefox. Haven't been able to figure that out.

  17. god bless you for posting this recipe! my boyfriend talks about Naan all the time, now i can actually make it for him!


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...