March 31, 2007

Jhatpat Sabzi (Vegetable Medley in a Jiffy)

How can one pass up a title like jhatpat sabzi? I had plans of making Paneer Jalfrezi for Nupur's A-Z of Indian Vegetables before I came across this fascinating title.

While I own a few cookbooks, I don't consult them often. But I do like browsing through them. So while I was looking at the recipes in Tarla Dalal's Swadisht Sabziyan that Aswin had bought on his India trip last year, I saw the title jhatpat sabzi. Like a curious cat, I had to try it out as soon as I could.

For us, the jhatpat sabzi had to be swadisht (delicious) and nutritious. So I made a few changes in the ingredients to suit our pantry and tastes and set to work. I replaced paneer with tofu. Instead of deep frying the tofu, I shallow fried them. I added fennel seeds in the tempering to extra flavor. And let me tell you, this simple and quick dish was bursting with flavor.

1/2 block Tofu - cut in cubes
2 medium carrots - peeled and cut in cubes
1 big (or 2 medium) zucchini - peeled and cut in cubes
10-12 mushrooms - sliced (I used portabella mushrooms)
2-3 green chillies
1" cube ginger
2/3 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon fennel seeds
Salt to taste
1 tbspoon olive oil

Grind the green chillies and ginger to a coarse paste.

Heat the oil and shallow fry tofu till they start turning light golden. Set the fried tofu on a paper towel to soak excess oil.
Temper the rest of the oil with cumin and fennel seeds. Add the vegetables and cook them on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes.

Add salt and Tofu. Cook it for another 3-5 minutes till the vegetables are done but not mushy. Serve warm with chapati, naan or parathas.

This is my entry for "J" in A-Z of Indian Vegetables hosted by Nupur at One Hot Stove. Thanks Nupur for hosting!


  1. Your sabzi medley looks really good,could we swap the plate:)

  2. hi...u have a gr8 blog
    this is my blog do visit and leave ur comments
    have a nice day

  3. addition of fennel is a nice touch for the tadka.

    thanks for the recipe

  4. jhatpat Indeed! love the use of fennel with the veggies...must give it a lovely aroma too..


  5. Absolutely love your dish...will definitely give it a try.

  6. This looks so good! I often crave tofu, and this recipe is something that I could throw together real quick. Thanks for participating, Mandira!

  7. Oh I love really this! Quick enough to retain its flavor but not loosing any nutrition!

  8. really nice simple recipe!!will definitely try!!

  9. Hi Mandira, The subzi looks very professional and colorful. Nice recipe blend of all vegges!!


  10. that was a good one..I saw this yesterday and was inspired.But then I used panch phoran with some mixed veggies and broccoli, carrots. Had for todays lunch :) Thanks

  11. It looks so pretty, all the colors. And delicious too!!! Darn, I miss so many great events!!! But, I won't miss Spring Blog Project!!!!

  12. Looks so bright and colorful Mandira! I love to use tofu - thank you for this new recipe!

  13. Lera - sure, anytime. This sabzi taste great fresh.

    Sabita - welcome to ahaar. Do keep visiting.

    Richa - the fennel, cumin seeds and ginger. I never thought it will be such a wonderful combination.

    Trupti - fennel combined with ginger tastes great. Do try.

    Sunita - do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Nupur - A-Z is a great way of discovering new ways of cooking Indian vegetables. Thanks for hosting this great event.

    Gattina - you're right, that's what gives this medley a great taste. I'm sure this will be a regular at our table.

    Paddukoti - thanks and welcome to ahaar. You can make your own combination of vegetable medley.

    Thanks sharmi - it's jhatpat, poushtik and swadisht :)

    Sandeepa - I'm glad this inspired your own version of jhatpat sabzi :)

    Sher- thanks, I'm looking forward to your entry.

    Linda - The recipe book had several recipes, this one caught my eye. Will have to try cookbook recipes more often!

  14. Heya!!!
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!
    This is sooooo great!!! I was just looking for a recipe & bumped into your blog!!!
    Am sure gonna check this space regularly!


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...