March 27, 2007

Moogambat


After buying a big pack of whole moong dal from the Indian store, I soaked a portion for 3-4 days. With sprouted daal ready, I decided on misal. After checking out the recipe, I realized I didn't have all the ingredients. So I searched around for a similar recipe and came across Nupur's Moogambat. It looked delicious and I decided to try it.

Moogambat is a Konkani recipe and literally means sour moong curry. How delicious is that!

Here is how I made it. While I followed the recipe, I changed the proportion of the ingredients in the wet paste. I also omitted asfoetida and added curry leaves in tempering.

Ingredients:
2 cups sprouted moong dal
3/4 tspoon cumin seeds
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 curry leaves
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tbspoon tamarind paste
1 tspoon jaggery
1 1/2 tspoon oil
salt to taste
cilantro leaves to garnish

To grind together
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1/3 cup onions
1 tbspoon coriander seeds
1 red chilli


Method:
Boil the moong dal with salt and turmeric. In the meantime, grind the masalas to a fine paste.
Heat oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves.
Then add the moong dal and mix it with the paste, tamarind and jaggery.
Let it cook for 7-10 minutes on medium low heat.
Garnish with cilantro and serve warm with rice.


With the goodness of curry leaves and cilantro leaves, this is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. Thanks Nupur for the great recipe and thank you Kalyn for hosting.

Along with adding flavor to any recipe, curry leaves are also good for digestion. To learn more, click here.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an interesting recipe. It sounds like something I'd really like. I actually met Nupur in St. Louis, and she was wonderful, so how fun that you're using her recipe. BTW, love your new blog header, just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful Mandira.I will try this.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new twist you did! Really very pretty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely recipe...somewhat similar to our Gujarati "khatta Maag", except, we do not use sprouted moong and we use sour yogurt in place of the tamarind....
    Thanks for your comment on my blog, Mandira.

    Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira,Looks pretty good.will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for trying the recipe, Mandira! It is a family favorite at my parents' place :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A must try healthy dish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Mandira, I too make this curry but in a different style will be posting it soon. Loved the Idea of sprouting it.

    cheers
    sharmi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kalyn, thanks, I liked the sweet and sour taste of the sprouted moong. Thank you, it took me three weeks to figure out how to get the blog header up :)

    Asha - thanks, do let me know how it turns out.

    Gattina - thanks, it tastes yummy too.

    Trupti - I tell you, we are all connected. There are so many variations of the same recipe. It makes it so interesting to learn about them.

    Thanks Surya.

    Nupur - thanks for this delicious recipe. This was a big hit at our place too!

    Mythreyee - thanks. do let me know how it turns out.

    Sharmi - do post your variation, looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that does look interesting as i love sprouted moong. how long did u sprout them for? reminds me of a katta dal that my mom's friend used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks beautiful and tasty as well as nutritious! I love discovering your blog and I am going through reading everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A homely dish...nice recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a new recipe for me...I'd love to try it...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shaheen - I sprouted them for about three days. I think they'll sprout better once the weather becomes warmer.

    FOTM - welcome to ahaar and thank you for your compliment. I hope you'll try some of the recipes.

    Jyothsna, Sunita - thank you. I enjoyed moogambat too. I'm sure to make it again... soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love sprouted moong, so a must try for me, thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Helene - the sweet and sour taste of the healthy moong beans is what I like the best in this recipe. Do try and let me know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:32 AM

    Hi Mandira!!
    could u plz tell me how exactly u sprouted it?? In India, we used to keep it soaked in water overnight and then drain the water, keep the moong for a day.. it used to sprout..this is not working out in swiss.. plz help!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anonymous - Once it starts getting cold, it's difficult to sprout. You can buy a sprouter, which will also come with instructions. But if you want to try home remedy ;) here is what I do. Soak lentils and/or seeds in water, just enough that it is covered and then leave it overnight in a warm place (I use my oven). The next day drain the water and add fresh water and do the same. At the end of the second day you will start noticing sprouts. Then you can wrap it in a cloth and keep it moist for sprouting. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...