March 25, 2007

Spicy Salmon Cutlets


It's been a while since I promised the spicy Salmon cutlets.

I have been lost in the html jungle feeling my way around. The progress has been slow to say the least. But it is a work in progress. I now know how to upload a button :) I finally have a button uploaded for Green Blog Project-Winter/Spring 2007. It will be great if you can use the button in your GBP Post.

Back to the cutlets, I made two batches of salmon cutlets last week. The first batch was coated with rice flour for our gluten-free friends and the second batch was coated with cream of wheat (rava). I baked the salmon for about 25 minutes till it was semi-cooked. This shortened the actual cooking time for the salmon.

Now, without further delay, here is the recipe for Salmon cutlets.

Ingredients:
2-3 medium Salmon steaks
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 small cube ginger
2 green chillies
small bunch cilantro
2/3 tspoon red chilli powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon garam masala powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tbspoon lemon juice
2 tbspoon cream of wheat/rice flour
1 tbspoon olive oil
salt to taste

Method:
Marinate the fish with garlic, turmeric, salt and lemon juice. Heat the oven to 300 deg F and bake the fish for 20-25 min till it is semi done.
In the meantime, chop onion, ginger, green chillies, cilantro finely.
Once the fish cools down, mix it together with garam masala, coriander powder, chilli powder, onion, ginger, cilantro and green chillies. Since it is a oily fish it is firm and mixes together like dough. If it doesn't, add a tbspoon of cream of wheat/rice flour.
Divide it in small lemon size balls. Put a ball on your palm and flatten it like a cutlet.
Coat it with cream of wheat/rice flour.
Once the oil heats in a pan, put the cutlets। Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.


Serve warm. It is a great side dish with rice and dal. Alternatively, it also is a great starter.

13 comments:

  1. Salmon cutlets look lovely, Mandira, and I love the GBP button! I usually make salmon for 4th of July -- will save your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salmon Spicy Cutlets? Wow! I am a bit careful to spice up the salmon too much, in fear of spoiling the real salmon taste. But you inspire me to go ahead and give it a try. I guess we both had salmon on our minds this week (I posted a salmon recipe too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to have salmon almost like macher chop. Mandira, sorry ami khub busy chilam ei weekend e. Tomar template ta dekha hoy ni. Shall look into it as soon as I get time

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...I was waiting for this post:) Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mandira, my first time here... thanks for dropping by my blog. Great recipes... I love these salmon cutlets... looks like you love fish, my kinda gal.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks heavenly I love salmon--and the seasonings are perfect. :):) I know I'll be making that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. its looks spicy enough to have a bite!!! i normaly make cutlet with tuna / amberjack. have to try ur recipe now. thanks mandira.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandira, I was just looking for a salmon recipe for this week's salmon dish -- thank you for this! And for the gluten-free instructions (hubby can't have wheat)... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, nice cutlets! My curry leaves should come your way soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. New template looks great Mandira! Salmon cutlets, sounds yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda - thanks. I was trying something new and this turned out really well. I liked the combination.

    Meeta - not just you and me, it seemed that several bloggers has salmon on their mind! It was great to read all the different variations.

    Sandeepa - almost like chop. tomar mail peychi, thank you.

    Shn - thanks, it took me a while to post the recipe. I got caught up solving html mystery of my blog.

    Sig - I'm a pucca bengali, give me fish anyday :) thanks for visiting ahaar.

    Sher- the cutlets were quite delicious and spicy, just the way I like it.

    Maneka - that sounds great too... will try that next. What spices do you add?

    Stef - I hope both of you will enjoy the salmon cutlets.

    Jyothsna - Yeah, wonderful news! Will look forward to your pics and recipe.

    KA - thanks. My template plans are still in process. Do try the salmon cutlets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mandira, the cutlets look great...we are all great lovers of salmon and this does sound and look one great dish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sunita - thanks. It did turn out quite well. Do let me know when you make it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...