April 25, 2007

No Knead Bread at last!

I have been wanting to try baking a bread for the longest time. For my first attempt, I chose a recipe that had the blogosphere buzzing with their trials just a few months ago. On November 8, 2006 Mark Bitman , the Minimalist of The New York Times published a recipe of No Knead Bread. It piqued my interest as I hopped from one blog to the next reading about this delicious bread. Now, albeit a little late, I have baked my first loaf using this recipe. It was cold when I tried it and the dough was a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour. As a result, the bread was a little denser, but so delicious.

Ingredients:
(Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery)
It takes about 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours rising
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran (I used crushed oats)

Method:

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until you get a dough which is sticky and very goey. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 F. I left it overnight.

Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour and oats; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degF. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (I used a Pyrex bowl) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned.


Cool on a rack. Slice and serve.
This is my entry for Waiter There's Something In My... hosted by Andrew at Spitoon Extra. Thanks Andrew for hosting.

24 comments:

  1. I have seen this No knead bread in my blogs,I have got to try now!:))
    Looks good and easy too.Great entry Mandira.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i sooo watch all mark bittman's demos. he's goofy, but i like his recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I have to try this...the title itself caught my attention! Thanks...:)

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hay ur bread looks nice....and they sound easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Knead bread... sounds easy and interesting.. got to try it out sometime. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. congats for getting perfect looking bread mandira:) may be i should think about making it someday:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandira, thanks for stopping by my blog which has allowed me to discover yours. Nice work here on your blog.

    I have been meaning to try this bread for quite sometime now but have never gotten around to doing it. Now that I know you can bake it in a pyrex too, I will definitely try it. Is the crust still robust although it is baked in the pyrex?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love no-knead bread, I tried something similar before, aren't they make our life easier? :D
    And your bread really great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Mandira, I see you've been bitten by the Bittman bread bug, too! I entered Andrew's event with a variation of it myself. You have a lovely blog - all kinds of goodies to ogle over and marvel at. Thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how did that dough in the bowl become like a ball of dough in the next pic? really nice bread!! will want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo!!! It looks fabulous! I want a slice right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! I have saved the No-knead Bread recipe, but never got around yet. I love wholewheat flour - brings out the earthy flavout of bread, isn't it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must say that the bread looks really good!

    Did you mix the dough by hand or with a wooden spoon?

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. there's nothing better than homemade bread for b'fast...and I love that no-knead idea...looks grand!

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's ingenious! I find bread really bloats me up because of yeast. Is this one quite light? I have whole wheat flour sitting around coz of my roti making efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...wonderful recipe...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow nice entry Mandira, i have seen this in many blogs but haven't treid yet. i would try it sometime!

    The bread looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOw! Mandira that makes me want to bake bread. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bread made super easy, courtesy Mandira :). Loved this recipe, am gonna try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello!

    I am thinking of starting a new portal to host simple and easy-to-prepare recipes. This is mainly for bachelors/bachelorettes who may not have the time and the necessary utensils to prepare anything elaborate.

    Please do contribute. For more details, I have made a post on this at:

    http://cookingandme.blogspot.com/2007/05/portal-for-simple-cooking.html

    Err.. does this comment look like spam? :O It really is not! Also, tell me what you think about the idea and better ideas of how I can go about this, if any.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Asha - thanks. I turned out great. I want to try it again in the summer.

    Linda - me too. I check out his videos at NYtimes as well.

    Shn, Sukanya, Prema, SC - thanks

    Cynthia - you have to cook the bread first covered and then uncovered. It turned out delicious with a crispy crust.

    Gattina - absolutely. I have to say after this, I'm all inot baking bread. :)

    Susan - welcome to ahaar. I agree, once we have the basic down, there are so many variations to experiment with for the no knead bread.

    Sharmi - once you roll it in cornmeal, whole wheat or oats (in my case) it is easier to shape it roughly. It still is super sticky, but easier to handle!

    Sher, we enjoyed it for the next two days, but was gone quickly.

    Anh - I had this in my bookmark forever before I decided to try it. I love whole wheat and multigrain combination too. That's next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elizabeth- thanks and welcome to ahaar. I mixed the first super sticky dough with a wooden spoon. But I did the second mixing and shaping with my hands. I still remember the stickiness :)

    Thanks trupti. I tried it on a whim but the result was so good that I have to try it again.

    Mallika - the whole wheat makes it denser. If you want light, try it with all purpose flour.

    Dilip, Roopa, ISG, Musical - thanks. I never realized baking a bread was this much fun.

    N - welcome to ahaar. I will take a look at your portal idea and blog. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. excellent results, mandira. j is now going to try the mini version. wed posted theis original one at our blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey bee - mini version sounds like an excellent idea. Yours looks great too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...