April 15, 2007

Veena Stores and Shavige Bath (Vermicelli Upma)

I often wake up on weekends wishing I could step out of home and walk two blocks down Margosa Road in Malleswaram (Bangalore) for breakfast at Veena Stores. Veena Stores has been around since 1977, and is renowned for the wonderful idlis, golden brown vadas, kesari bath, uppit, and shavige bath. And you've got to see the crowds outside to believe how popular this little spot is!

So this weekend, I decided to make some shavige bath to satisfy my craving. Here's the recipe.

2 cups vermicelli (don't get the roasted vermicelli)
3/4 cup mix veggies (carrots, beans, peas, carrots)
1 tbsp urad dal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 red chilis
Asafoetida, a pinch
1 tsp oil
Salt to taste

Roast the vermicelli for 2-3 minutes.
Heat some oil and temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, urad dal, and the red chilis.
Add the veggies and saute them for 3-4 minutes.
Add water and salt to this and boil for 3-4 minutes.
To this, add the vermicelli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro.

Serve with a piping hot cup of coffee!

Today is also Poila Baishakh, beginning of a new year for the Bengalis. Shubha Nab0 Barsha to all our readers, fellow bloggers, friends, and family.


  1. Hi Aswin,you sound like a pukka Kannadiga!:D I used live in Rajajinager,I love those masale vade they used to sell in the evenings by the road side cart.It has been a long time since I have been home.Thanks for posting the Veena stores and memories:))
    Happy Baisakhi.

  2. Shubho Nabo Barsho Mandir and Aswin
    Hey Aswin I had stayed in the Malleshwarm Area for a whole year around 18th Cross. Had I known of Veena Stores would have sure made a visit or maybe I did but never noticed the name :)
    I love the second pic with the red chilli

  3. Asha - I miss the roadside carts too, esp during the monsoon! And I miss hot palya buns too!

    Sandeepa - don't miss it the next time you're back in b'lore! And btw, I lived just one street away, on 17th cross!

  4. Oh...how nice! I noticed you didn't add any onions in it, must try it this way sometime. I do like this with hot coffee on the side, how did you know? ;)

    Happy new year to you both.

  5. 'Shubha Nabo Barsha', Mandira and Aswin.

  6. Happy new yr to both of you. :)

    That pic looks so gorgeous!!!!!

  7. Shubo Naba Barsha!! The picture looks yummy and am sure it is going to go well with my morning coffee:)

  8. new year greetings to you, aswin and mandira.

  9. Hi Mandira and Aswin, wisging u both Shubha nabo barsho..I hope i got it right :) I liked ur serving bowl in the picture ;)


  10. veena store? OMG... i love their soft, fluffy idlies with finger licking chutneys... ah!!! ~nostalgic~ semige uppittu looks very delightful ashwin... i love to eat it with a big spoon of yogurt... what a combo:)

  11. new yr greetings to u and mandira:)

  12. Hey Aswin n' Mandira,

    Veena store, OMG! this posted misted my eyes with all the fond memories i have from those sumptuous vadai and idlis and and and.....

    Really. i was at the IISc and this was a favorite anytime we would go to Malleswaram!

    Shubho Nabo Barsho to you both and thanks for this heart-warming post.

  13. just delicious...and looks superb..thanks .

  14. Malleswaram is a foodie haven - masala dosa and mangalore bajjis at Janata, idlis at Veena stores, the thatte idlis & variety dosas from the gaadiwala on 15th cross, upma at the Darshini near 17th Cross...Oh, nostalgia galore!

    The shavige bhath looks yum!
    Nice post! :)

  15. Aswin really nice recipe...a great walk down memory lane...

    Belated Shubho Naba Barsha to you and Mandira...

  16. Aswin and Mandura, Happy New Year! Vermicelli Upma looks delicious and fluffy!

  17. i love this aswin, i used love to have this for breakfast back at home.

  18. Thank you all for the comments and wishes!

    sia - while yogurt would work, if there's no chutney, I go for ketchup.

    musical - and i have to say that the IISc canteen was pretty good too!

    Vani - folks are definitely spoilt for choice in areas like malleswaram. And I have to give props to south b'lore too and the many wonderful places in 4th block jayanagar, bsk II stg, and gandhi bazaar!

  19. mandira, plz check this link. i guess this pic is from ur blog : http://www.ifood.tv/node/1716

  20. Mandira/Aswin
    Check my post on dining hall. I saw on of your pics in IFoodTV. check it at DH and verify

  21. Supriya, Sandeepa - thanks for alerting me. I have written to the ifood.tv founder about the plagarism. I am hoping they will respond to the e-mail.

  22. Oh my Aswin! My mom's house is hop, skip and jump from Veena stores :-) I've lived there 21 years until i came here! I have never heard anyone mention Veena stores until now... did'nt think anyone would know it! What a small world. I just went there and ate some yummy idlis and vadas 4 months back :-)
    I miss those days!

  23. Hi ashwin and Mandira,

    IT is bringing back the old memories of vada, iddilies dosas, love them!

    Your uppitu looks delicious

  24. that looks so yummy. and the dish in which you have served looks so nice. simle and beautiful.

  25. Aswin and mandira
    Happy New yr to you guys and the upma looks nice. Not adding onions to upma is very new to me. Veena Stores ...Now i need to look for that when i go to B'lore next time

  26. another one for u , mandira..
    http://www.ifood.tv/node/1705..raw banana cutlets..
    i haven't tasted the banglore version but aswhin's photo looks great. will try it ssoon.

  27. Seema - I didn't add onions 'cos there weren't any, no other reason!

    Roopa, Latha - glad this post evoked fond memories!

    Sharmi - thanks! The dishes are a recent acquisition from an estate sale.

    Mallugirl - thanks for that alert. Looks like ifood.tv has a lot of explaining to do to the entire food blogging community.

  28. Veena Stores is on Margosa road near 15th cross, right? I remember that place :-)

  29. comfort food... very nice pic

  30. The photo shoot looks great? May I Know where did you buy those cups to serve.


  31. Anonymous2:08 AM

    thanx for the recipe...looks perfect... wich urad dal is it? white? i lived in banmglore for 3 yrs and we too relished veena stores snaacks


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...