May 23, 2007

Spicy Andhra Chicken Curry

After a busy day, there's nothing like coming home to a warm home cooked meal. This was one such meal. Spicy chicken curry with warm rice and a simple salad. Delicious meal. I was looking for Andhra chicken curry recipe and this spicy chicken curry at Sailu's Food caught my attention. Thanks Sailaja!

This is no simple curry. Fiery chilli and peppercorns, tangy yogurt marinate and the flavor of garam masala and curry leaves all blend in together in this spicy andhra curry. So, while I watch the last episode of American Idol and enjoy my chicken curry, here is the recipe.

I followed Sailu's recipe, adjusting it to my taste, adding cumin seeds and omitting the cashews and milk.

Ingredients:
For marinating the chicken:
1.5 lbs chicken, washed and cut into medium sized pieces
4 tbspoons yogurt
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste

For the curry
1” cinnamon
10-12 curry leaves
3 cloves
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
3-4 tbspoon oil
2 big onions finely chopped
1 large tomato finely chopped
1 tspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tspoon freshly ground black pepper powder
¼ tsp cumin powder
cilantro leaves - to garnish

Method:
Marinate the chicken for a couple of hours.

Dry roast the cinnamon, cloves and curry leaves and grind it to a powder.

Heat half the oil in a pan and saute the onions till they start turning brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir for another few minutes. Add coriander, cumin and pepper powder and let it cook on medium heat for another 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Then take it off the heat, cool and set it aside.

Heat the rest of the oil in a wide bottomed pan and temper it with cumin seeds. Then add the marinated chicken. Cook till they start turning brown. Add the onion masala mixture, dry ground masala, salt and 1/2 cup water.


Cook on medium heat (closed lid) till the chicken turns soft. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve warm with rice or chaptis.

This is also my entry for RCI: Andhra Cuisines hosted by Latha at Masala Magic.

13 comments:

  1. Mandira, this is so perfect. I think I have to give it a try. Sound fiery and just up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira, Spicy and Tasty Chicken, just the right one to watch American Idol, what if that turns out to be a dud, atleast the chikcen would have kept you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made that too with lot less chillies.Loved it.Looks great.
    Go Jordin!! A multi-millionaire at 17!!!OH MY!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh, there are lot of choices to make non-veg recipes in Andhra cuisine. nice entry and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:14 AM

    This looks mouthwatering, I love chicken curries! I'm making my first attempt at a potato curry with coconut rice this friday, wish me luck - I've never made a curry before!

    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your most welcome, Mandira.:)
    I'm glad you enjoyed the curry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hay that is looking so good... Mouth watering one. I also make it in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. spicy.. ?? this is my type of chicken curry ...chicken looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is definitely one of my favourite dishes - curried chicken with rice and it is done is less than 30 mins!

    Did you enjoy the show?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! My husband loves Andhra style food because of the robust blend of spices. I tone this down a little, but think I will add this on to a list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Looks Yummy.

    Can you share your articles on http://www.bestofindya.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meeta - thanks. Do try if you like spicy food. It goes well with naan or pulao.

    ISG - LOL, both - chicken and american idol - complimented each other ;)

    Asha - exactly my thoughts (on chicken and american idol;) Let's see what she does next.

    Sharmi - thanks. A friend is making hyderabadi chicken biryani for us... I'm going to try and get that recipe ;)

    Ari - good luck. I can't wait to hear about your experience. This chicken curry is hot and spicy. You can adjust the spice level by reducing the chilli powder.

    Sailaja - thank you. I enjoyed the chicken curry. It was delicious.

    Sukanya - thanks. I'll drop by when you make it next ;)

    Pravs - thanks. somehow I seem to be in the mood for spicy curries recently.

    Cynthia - chicken curry and rice used to be our sunday lunches back when we were kids. I couldn't watch the entire show.. saw the last one hour.

    CC - do try and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:24 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...