May 29, 2007

Tofu Curry with Panang paste

Thai food is one of my favorites and I am constantly trying recipes which can be replicated at home with my pantry and retaining the Thai flavor. Tofu curry with Panang paste was one of them. I saw the Panang paste at Chez Pim and decided to try it. I reduced the red chillies, eliminated shrimp paste and replaced galangal with fresh ginger.

I found the recipe of Tofu Panang Curry from Amanda's Kitchen. Served over rice noodles, this was our delicious dinner.

Ingredients:
3 tbspoons panang curry paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tspoon soy sauce
1/2 tspoon lime zest
1/2 tspoon sugar
1/2 pack tofu - cubed
8-10 mushrooms - chopped
1 red pepper - chopped
1 dried whole red chillies
salt to taste
2 tbspoon oil
fresh cliantro - chopped for garnish

1/2 pack Thai rice noodles

For Panang curry paste
2 dried chillies
1 medium shallots (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 tspoon ginger (finely chopped)
1/2 tspoon lime zest
1 tspoon cilantro roots and stalks (not the leaves)
pinch cumin seeds
pinch whole white pepper
pinch of clove
pinch of cinnamon
bit of star anise


Method:
Heat half the oil in a thick bottomed pan and saute the tofu till they turn golden. You can also deep fry them, but I rarely deep fry anything at home.

Mix the panang curry paste in a mortar and pestle or roughly grind it in a mixer. Set it aside.

Heat the rest of the oil and temper it with red chilli. Add the panang curry paste and saute for a couple of minutes. Then add the coconut milk and let it cook on medium heat (closed lid) for 4-5 minutes. Then add soy sauce, lime zest, sugar and salt.

Add tofu and the vegetables and cook till the vegetables are done and the curry has a thick sauce.

In the meantime, boil rice noodles as per the package instructions.

Serve the tofu panang curry over rice noodles and garnish with fresh cilantro.


This is going to Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. It's not that I don't use other herbs, but somehow all my WHB entries seem to have cilantro. After all, it's my favorite!

16 comments:

  1. I love malaysian cuisine!!! i am allergic to tofu though!! :( Must try this without tofu and substitute it with other veggies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds just wonderful. I haven't cooked with tofu much, but I do like it, so I should get brave and try it. Love seeing all the ingredients that go into the curry paste. Panang curry is one of my favorite things to order in a Thai restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delish, mandira. i've beeen cooking a lot of thai of late. the panang curry paste in my recipe book has some peanuts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks super tasty. Love Thai food, this is simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of it Mandira.My daughter loves Tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has been asking me to make something like this......this is going straight to his email! thanks Mandira....

    I got your mail...looking forward to your mail.

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy i love this dish! wonderfull tofu with the spice paste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your dish..its really mouth watering..

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhh my...I have to try the panang paste recipe...my kinda stuff...great post...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love panang curry! Yours look great Mandira! I buy panang curry paste from the store, thanks for the curry paste ecipe, this will be tried soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coffee you can try it without tofu, try substituting paneer.

    Kalyn - thanks. I'm glad I tried it at home. It was so interesting to see the combination of all the spices. It was quite delicious. I tried tofu a few years back and took an immeditate liking to it.

    Bee - thanks. Chez pim's recipe included peanuts, but not Amanda's. I guess there are variations of panany curry.

    ISG - thanks. it is easy once you have all the ingredients and is so delicious.

    Asha - thanks. Try it, I hope your daughter will like it.

    Trupti - thanks. It is quite delicious. Try and let me know if your hubby liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roopa, Seena - thanks. It was delicious and spicy!

    Thanks Dilip. With spice and coconut milk, what's not to like, right?

    Sig - I've tried it at restaurants and wanted to make it from scratch at home. There's something to be said for fresh pastes and ingredients. Do let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A delicious and creative adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. O O this sounds new to me...Love it..Great colours..

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! that looks good! wud be nice to try the curry paste recipe at home, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rotem6:44 AM

    Thank-you so so much... I was horrified to know panang paste contained shrimp paste... As a strict vegiterian it made me want to call & yell at the thai restuarant I usualy order from, as this is my usual dish from there. Anyways, now that I know I can make it at home, with no animals harmed in the proccess, I'm so psyched. Thank-you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...