June 13, 2007

Sabudana Khichadi (sago medley)

Summer has barely started and I've forgotten what winter was like. It's nice and warm outside and instinctively our tastes have changed. We are craving fresh fruits, salads and light food like curd rice, and sabudana khichadi. It's spicy enough for the taste buds and yet light on the stomach.

Speaking of summer, after Manisha's shout out for the pickle, I put a batch of lime, chilli and ginger pickle without oil last week. It's been really sunny here, so the pickle has been cooking away. Even though it's a little early for a taste (it's not even been a week) I couldn't wait. I even gave Aswin a little taste. It was so delicious, we can't wait for it to get done!

Coming back to the sabudana khichadi, it's a popular Maharashtrian fasting food made with sago pearls, potatoes, peanuts garnished with lime juice, cilantro and/or coconut. My mom made it as an evening snack when we were kids and it was popular and constantly on demand! If you're making it to break your fast, skip the onions. Since we were not, we added onions to the khichadi. Here is how I made it using my mother-in-law's recipe.

1 1/2 cups sago (tapioca)
1 potato - cut in small cubes
2-3 chilies
1 tspoon lemon juice
1 small piece ginger - shredded
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1/3 cup peanuts (chopped coarsely)
1 tspoon sugar
salt to taste
2 tspoons oil
Cilantro leaves - for garnishing

Soak sago in luke-warm water. Drain the water and keep it aside for half an hour to one hour depending on the sago pearls.

Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan and temper it with cumin seeds and green chilies. Then add the ginger, and then the onions. Saute till the onions turn translucent.

Add the chopped potatoes and stir fry till the potatoes start turning tender. Add the in the sago pearls, salt and the sugar and cook it for 4-5 minutes, till it all mixes together. Add the peanuts and cook for another couple of minutes.

Take it off the heat and add the lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro.

It makes a great evening tiffin or a light lunch.

This is going to RCI for Maharastrian Food hosted by Nupur at One Hot Stove. Thanks Nupur!


  1. Mandira, how long should the sago soak?

  2. I would love to try it with onions. Sabudana khichadi is one of my favorites. Nice entry for RCI :)

  3. same Q as jothsna... wanted to know how long we need to soak sago in water? never tried making khichadi using sago. my experiment with sago is limited to vada and kheer...

  4. I love this khichadi with cold yogurt.....a childhood favorite of mine too!
    Interesting touch with the onions, Mandira.

  5. hey, that bowl of khichadi looks yum! it's one of my most favs :) will try with onions sometime!

  6. I never tried Sago Khichadi either but have made Vadas and Kheer.
    You just soak them for 2 hrs or so ppl, until they are swelled a bit!
    My RCI os out ,check it out Mandira:))

  7. My Mom makes this and I love it but never knew its from Maharashtra.

  8. anusharaji11:00 AM

    luv the shot
    mom made it once but sure failed :(
    vl try it sometime

  9. Oh yes, that does look like a bowl of summer. Yummm

  10. Hi Mandira, I just bought sago for the first time. Now I shall try this -- it looks so light and refreshing!

  11. HI Mandira...I just love Sabuddana Upma. It is one of the best breakfast or light meal.My mother cooks is expert in cooking this dish:-) Your looks too good. I will try ur version once. Check my similar post here:


  12. Mandira I know exactly how you feel about your pickles. Can't resist!
    Have never tried making khichadi with Sabudana, yours looks lovely and makes me want to try it.

  13. I have got to try adding onion...it looks like such a delicious variation! Thanks for a great entry :)

  14. never made them. looks good but scared to try out.:)if it is first time I dont know if i might mess up

  15. Mandira,
    I have seen so many recipes of sabudana vadas but never came across khichadi. Lovely presention girl. Will try and get sabudana now that I have seen so many versatile recipes out of it.

  16. looking tasty mandira!!!

  17. I have tasted this in one of my friends place and I liked it...but haven't cooked it myself. I have lots of sabudana left out aftermaking kheer and I was wondering what to do with it. thanks for the recipe.

  18. This is new for me! I have never tries savoury sago, only have it for dessert! I really have to try it some day!

  19. Jyostna makes...its great...I must try making it one day...thanks for sharing

  20. good one mandira! i was in search of this recipe. i have tastesd wonderfull sago khichadi and love it but never successfull at home. Mine always turns a bit soggy, how do i make it very grainy but cooked. Any tips??

  21. Jyothsna- depending on the sago you can soak it 1 hour or longer.

    Archana - this is delicious, onions give the khichadi a wonderful taste.

    Supriya- i love sabudana vada too. Soak the sago for about an hour or more. They absorb the water, swell and become soft, but not squishy.

    Trupti- yummy, I have to try it with cold yogurt. It must be delicious.

    Richa - thanks, it's popular in our home too :)

    Asha - try the khchadi. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

    Sandeepa - Sago khichadi without onions is often prepared during fasting. My mom makes it for evening snack.

    Thanks Anusharaji, do let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks Cynthia. It's light and refreshing.

    Linda do let me know how it turns out. Vadas and sago kheer are also very delicious.

    Meena your sabudana upma looks delicious. Looks like you also add turmeric, will try your version the next time!

  22. ISG - I'm rooting for sunny days, it will make my pickle cook faster ;) Do try the khicadi and let me know how it turns out.

    Nupur - thanks, it turned out really well. Thanks for hosting this great event. I'm looking forward to the roundup.

    Sharmi - Look at it this way. If it turns out good, you've learnt a new recipe, if it doesn't you don't have to tell anyone. That's the fun of cooking :) do let me know how it turns out.

    Seema do let me know how it turns out. It's light and refreshing, perfect for summer!

    Thanks Swapna.

    Prema thanks. Let me know how it turns out.

    Anh do try, I'm sure you will enjoy it. It's light and great for a light lunch.

    Thanks Dilip. Do let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks Roopa. Soak it for a little less time till the sago starts swelling and turns soft, but not squishy.

  23. wow, i have never tried sabudana khichadi with ginger!

  24. Dhana - Ginger brings a kick to the sabudana khichadi. Try it!

  25. Mandira, sabudana khichadi looks great! I've always wanted a recipe with onions ever since my aunt told me that the locals in Bhavnagar, Gujarat make it with onion.

    How is the lime pickle going?


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...