August 13, 2007

Catfish fry with yogurt dip

Crispy fish fry with hot dal and rice is my all-time favorite comfort food. While I still miss Morula mach bhaja, tiny fish fried crisp, I have tried frying different fish- tilapia, salmon, haddock, and catfish among others.

Recently, I got catfish which looked more like chicken breast and I decided to change things a bit- you know, get out and shake things up. While marinating the fish, I added a little bit of saffron, and fried it crispy with some poppy seeds. Served over a bed of minty yogurt dip tempered with mustard it was delicious and aromatic. The crispy fish with minty dip, along with dal and rice spiced up our regular weekday meal.

How do you like your fried fish?

Ingredients:
2-3 catfish fillets - take thicker pieces
2/3 tspoon turmeric
1/2 tspoon chilli powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/4 tspoon clove powder
few strands saffron
2-3 garlic cloves - paste
1 tbspoon poppy seeds
2 tbspoon oil
salt to taste

Yogurt Dip
3-4 tbspoon yogurt
fresh mint paste
salt to taste
1/2 tspoon mustard

Method:
Marinate the fish with all the spices and garlic paste and let it soak the marinade for 4-5 hours.
Heat the oil in a pan. In the meantime, coat the fish with the poppy seeds and shallow fry the fish on medium heat 5-6 min or till it is crispy and done.

While the fish is frying, whip the yogurt and add the mint paste. Temper the mustard seeds and add it to the yogurt mix. Add salt to taste and mix it all together.

For serving, spoon a few spoons of yogurt dip and then add the fish on top and serve.


This is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging #96, created by Kalyn and being hosted this week by Zorra of Kochtof.

21 comments:

  1. Even before I clicked on the link, it sounded delicious, Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, a whole new way of frying fish... looks delicous! And how do I like my fried fish? hmmm... fried :) yep, I can just fry the fish with just salt and still enjoy it... but some spices will be real nice :D.. yours is bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This looks so good Mandira! I love fried fish and the spices here are incredible. When ever we come visit you in Michigan you've gotta cook this one up OK?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, this must be lovely. Thanks for a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fried Cod and my son loves Cat fish!! Looks delicious.So you started cooking the regular menu now, huh?:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmmm sounds great Mandira and the dip sounds lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandira, I hope you have settled down and are getting your bearings in Ann Arbor, which is like a dream in so many ways!

    This catfish sounds yummy. I haven't used saffron in fried fish before or coated it in poppy seeds. This has got to be a must-try for me! I *love* fish of any kind. And if it is fried, that's even better!

    I also wanted to tell you that there is an award for you, waiting to be picked up! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandira! I so want some of this food. I have to cook dhal this week. The fish looks so succulent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fried fish is a favorite with me, but I think it's best just like this - marinated and crispy but without batter. Saves tons of calories and lets the flavors really shine through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish you a very Happy Independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fish, and I love the look of your fried one...in fact I'm really hungry now and could do with a plate of food like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum ! love fish...def will try this recipe. with yogurt dip.. it must be amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  13. This fish is looking YUM!.....Nice picture....My fav....Delish!..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so delicious Mandira. I love your recipe me, I have to try doing fish this way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, I like your blog you have lovely recipes:) I never tried cat fish but your picture sure makes it lok tasty! Feel free to visit my blog too :)


    Click here for jeenas food recipe blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sra - thanks, it did taste delicious. :)

    Sig - thanks, I was surprised that I could taste and smell the saffron in the fish. I enjoyed the aromatic smell.

    Meeta - done deal. Just let me know when you are passing through and I will keep catfish in stock.

    Anh- thank you. it did turn out great. Do try.

    Asha- fish and baking, then I know I've settled into the kitchen :)

    Thanks Sandeepa it was quite a treat for us.

    Manisha thank you so much for the award. I am touched! I enjoyed the saffron as I was telling Sig, it gave the fried fish a whole new taste.

    Thanks Cynthia - do try and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan- thanks. I like my battered fried fish, just not with dal and rice. This has the crispness and the flavor.

    thanks Richa happy 60th independence day to you too!

    Sunita- thank you. A hot steaming plate like this anytime for me too!

    pravs the yogurt dip was a last minute innovation and must say it was quite delicious.

    thanks Sukanya, Saju . Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Jeena thanks for visiting. I will surely visit your blog again soon!

    Thanks Zorra

    ReplyDelete
  18. It does sound very yummy. I love fried fish, but I rarely cook it at home. Yours sounds nice and spicy, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey I have been a bit tied up and could not drop by for sometime....so have u settled down at the new place ..? hope u lied the new place and home :)

    This fish fry sounds completely different and quite intriguing too...plus the yogurt dip makes it too tempting...will try and let u know...thanks for sharing :)

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fried Vat fish is always my favo dish love the yogurt dip with it...but I have a doubt...is it safe to eat fish with milk/dairy products?

    First time to your blog and am totally loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...