August 19, 2007

Healthy Sabzi Series #4- Oriya Bhendi Masala


My first and only visit to Orissa was many many years ago. The vacation included trips to Puri, Konark temple, Nandankanan National Park among other places.

The memories have faded, I remember bits and pieces like holding on to old photographs. I remember the crowd in the Jagannath temple; someone had to pick me up so that I could breathe and the pujari who came with mishti bhath everyday to the rest house. I remember the Sun temple and the awe I felt as a child and the roar of the white tigers at the National Park.

We had traveled in a large group during one of our summer vacations - aunts and uncles, grandmother and her sisters, cousins - lots of us. The first day we arrived in Puri, we all went to the beach. It was evening and I was sitting with my grandmother waiting for the next wave to wash our feet. But the wave was bigger than I had anticipated and I was drenched by the time it receded. But I did venture into the sea again the next day and it was a lot of fun.

It is the fun that I remember from the Orissa trip.

When I saw the RCI Oriya cuisine, I wanted to participate. But nothing came to mind, so I got some help from the internet. While browsing I came across this recipe for Bhendi Masala. The combination of Green Peppers and Okra intrigued me and I had fresh Okras from the Farmer's Market trip. I decided to try it. It was so delicious - along with mushurir dal and chapatis it was a wholesome meal.

Ingredients:
(adapted from bhaja in Oriya Kitchen)
1 lb - frozen or fresh okra
1 - medium onion
1 - tomato
1- green pepper (I used yellow bell pepper)
1tspoon - cumin powder
1tspoon - coriander powder
1/2 tspoon- turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon - fresh ginger chopped
1/2 tspoon - fresh garlic chopped
1 tspoon oil
1/2 tspoon amchur powder
1 red chilli
1 tspoon- cumin seeds
Salt-to taste
chopped cilantro for garnishing

Method:
Cut okras into small pieces. Then chop the onions, tomatoes and the bell pepper and keep it aside.

Heat oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds and red chilli. Then add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute. Then add the chopped onions and fry it till they start turning brown.

Add the tomato along with cumin and coriander powder. Add turmeric powder and let it cook on closed lid till the tomatoes turn soft. Then add the bell pepper and okra.

Stir for a few minutes till everything mixes and cook it on medium heat till the okra starts turning soft. Then add the amchur powder and cook it for a couple more minutes.

The okra should turn soft but not mushy. Take it off the heat, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm.


With okra and bell peppers it was also a part of the healthy sabzi series and my entry for RCI- Oriya hosted by Swapna of Swad. The event was created by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine.

16 comments:

  1. The bhendi subji looks very delicious. Wow the plate meal looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looking Thali!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Mandira, this is indeed a new combo! will have to get bhindis now :).

    Hope you both are settling in well in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira, that is one healthy looking subzi, also a new way to prepare okra for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira...your Orissa memory is almost like mine. Do remmeber nandan Kanan and the White Tiger

    That is a great sabzi and how did you miss your award at my place ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love bhendi masala. Somehow I never make this as often as I would like to.Your Oriya BM looks very good:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bhendi looks great...unusual, must-try combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it sure is a lovely combo, looks yum! needless to say will try it using my garden peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you said, I never came across a subji with bhindi and capsicum together. A different kind of dish and great entry to RCI.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the okra+pepper combination. Haven't tried it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That must have been a very memorable trip!! great looking okras. must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sure is a healthy subzi Mandira..
    A diff and nice combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love meals like these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Roopa, Cinnamon - it was indeed delicious.

    Musical - this was the first time making the sabzi, and I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Will definitely make it again. We are settling in well. Sometime before we feel at home though.

    ISG - the veggie combo was what I was intrigued by and it did not disappoint me.

    Sandeepa I am so honored by the award. Will definitely do a post soon. So you visited all those places too..

    TBC- I just happened to have the right ingredients and this was quite a delicious one - tangy and not too spicy.

    Thanks Cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Richa I am sure yours will be extra tasty with homegrown peppers :)

    Thanks Suma. I am glad I tried it. I'm sure to make it again soon.

    Suganya do try it makes one delicious meal.

    Sharmi - we travelled every summer and this was indeed one of those great trips. Do try the sabzi.

    Thanks Prema, it turned out pretty good.

    Cynthia thanks. I love them too, just wish I made them more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mandira, okra and bell pepper is indeed a new combo to me -- will have to try this sometime. Looks like MI farmer's' market is treating you ok :)
    Also your masoor dal looks really delish!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...