August 29, 2007

Mexican Rice Caserole

Mexican Rice Casserole
(Photo courtesy of: Nicole Moore)

Update 2-24-2013: We made this rice casserole for Playdate#5. The flavors are just as I remembered - fresh and delicious. I followed the recipe as is, except for the chicken. Instead of  pan roasting it, I broiled it in the oven for 13 minutes on each side. It saved us some time, and with each of us tending to two little ones, shortcuts like these are welcome.
Nicole made a lettuce and avacado salad which complemented it perfectly.
Here is a updated picture as well, courtesy of Nicole.
-----------------------------------

We were in the mood for something different. After a recent dinner of Mexican casserole which we enjoyed, I have been wanting to make my own version of it. So I set to work. And when the dinner at the end of the experiment is a great one pot meal with rice, beans, veggies, and chicken all combined in this flavorful sauce, all I can say is that it was indeed a great find! With a fresh avocado salad to absorb the heat from the casserole, it was our satisfying dinner of the week.


Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice
1 can (10 oz) black beans - drained and rinsed
1 medium red onion - chopped
2 medium tomatoes - chopped
1 bell pepper - chopped
2 medium carrots chopped
2-3 cloves garlic - chopped
1 big chicken breast- cut in bite size
1/4 tspoon oregano
1 tspoon cumin powder
1/2 tspoon chilli powder
2 tbspoon - mexican cheese mix
2 tbspoon olive oil
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper
Fresh cilantro to garnish


Method:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish and keep it aside.
Marinate the chicken with salt and pepper and saute it on a pan till they start to turn brown. Keep it aside.
Heat the rest of the oil and add oregano, and garlic. Saute it for a couple of minutes. Then add onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the rest of the veggies - carrots, pepper, tomatoes along with cumin and chilli powder. Let it cook together closed lid for 3-4 minutes. Take it off heat.
Now layer the baking dish - rice, beans, veggies chicken and top it off with cheese and let it bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving. I like to mix it before serving so the juices and flavors mix well.


This is my entry for JFI-Rice hosted by Sharmi of Neivedyam. Great way to celebrate rice, thanks Sharmi!

22 comments:

  1. the photo looks delicious. i think i may try it out, excl. the chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this rice must be tasting grand. The ingredients used except for chicken (Iam a veg )must be making it tooo tasty :) Good entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ingredients you have carefully chosen are totally 'Mexican'. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really imagine all the perfectly put together ingredients and their flavors. A lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. caserole is such a fancy name :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous pic mandira. i am bookmarking this recipe. cant wait to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandira, one pot dishes are my favorite. Rice Caseorle is perfect, Mexican you say even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looooove one pot meals like these...really up my alley...the dish looks really gorgeous...must have tasted the same...btw, you must be really enjoying your new place, so close to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks like a keeper. thanks for the recipe, mandira. i love recipes with baked rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi...This rice caserole is looking great...Nice pictures....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's one delicious looking caserole :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice recipe, Mandira.I am going to try it after substituting the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I could taste it, Mandira! I love colourful dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very delicious looking. Never knew mexican rice was so easy to make. thanks for the great one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect dish for a dinner! I'll be making this tonight! The pictures look super inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooooh!! this must taste nice.. i will try, exclude the chix (vegetarian)!! Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy... will try the veg version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. By itself this casserole is great but with creamy avocado, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you are having a Mexican party here! Looks tempting....I like the avacado in it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely colorful dish. I love casserole dishes as it involves less work and cleanup. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried this recipe it was really a hit my hubby and my baby loved it and now i cook it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so delicious. I'll be making it regularly, and exploring the whole baked rice genre.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...