October 01, 2007

Bengali Raw Banana & Papaya Curry

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I grew up eating Kaancha Kola aar Peper (pey-pey- eir) dalna (Raw Banana and Papaya Curry). We had Banana and Papaya trees in the garden and my mom would cook this curry regularly much to our protest. With "it's good for you" our protests were overruled by my mother. When I came to the US, I didn't make it for the longest time, and just recently, during my conversation with my mother, she mentioned that she made it for lunch. And all of a sudden, I longed for that taste again!

And to my surprise, I took down the recipe and decided to make it soon. My dad suggested mushuri daler bora (masoor dal pakoda) in the curry. "Too much work, dad," I protested. He said "put it in the curry and tell everyone it was my suggestion." I'm glad I took his suggestion! So for JFI:Banana, here is my final entry - a simple, regular lunch item from my mother's kitchen Kaach Kola aar Peper Dalna. It is delicious. I cooked the banana with the skin on because of the nutrients in the skin. Raw Banana is usually skinned for this curry.

Ingredients: (for 3-4 servings)
For Curry
2 raw bananas
1/2 medium raw papaya
2-3 small potatoes
1 small tomato
1" ginger
2 green chillies
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon turmeric
1/4 tspoon sugar
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
2 tbspoon Oil
1/2 tspoon ghee
Salt to taste

For Dal Bora
1 handful masoor dal
1 big clove Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbspoon Oil

Method:
For Dal Bora
Soak the dal in warm water for 30-45 min. Then grind it finely with garlic, salt and pepper. Traditionally, the batter is then deep fried as small round balls (bora) and then added to the curry. I shallow fried it in a medium deep pan, hence using only 2 tablespoons oil.
Set it on a paper towel to soak excess oil.

For Curry:
Chop raw banana, papaya, potatoes into medium cubes and saute them. Set them aside. Grind the ginger and green chillies to a paste.

Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and temper it with cumin seeds. Then add the ginger and chilli paste. Then add the small tomato and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Add the banana and potato cubes and let cook together on medium low heat for 4-5 minutes. Then add the raw papaya, turmeric, coriander powder, 1 1/4 cup water and let it cook 6-7 minutes on closed lid. When the curry is boiling add the bora/padoas in. Add salt and let it cook for 2-3 minutes or till the veggies are cooked but not mushy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add the sugar and 1/2 tspoon ghee and take it off the heat. Serve warm with roti or chapptis.

36 comments:

  1. wow...nice picture. I've never tasted this curry before. The combo of banana and papaya in a curried sauce sounds intresting. Bet you had a nice meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mandira, this is a really unusual recipe. thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banana n Papaya....Never heard of this combo..Looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad is right. Soft bananas with crunchy dal is a heart combo. I have never seen this curry before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! after 6 times I was finally able to leave a comment. Blogger is throwing an error!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to cook with raw Papaya in B'lore, we had few papaya plants/trees as well.I used to love it.
    I see you added the Banana with peel too. Looks great!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dad is cute :) This combo is unique...thanks for sharing it :)

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. This is a new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me! But I think it sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummilicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slurp! Thats one really new and delightful combo! I love them both, and am hoping i can find some raw papaya. Also hoping that i'll be able to put up my post by tonight :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe looks very different and hope will aslo taste different!! Sure I will give it a try......:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. New and nice curry....

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely recipe... nice picture.... loved the idea of using the banan with the skin...:) will surely try it... when is the round up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. very unique recipe mandira :) I will give this a try next time

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mandira, that's a great looking curry. Did you use a ripe papaya instead of a green one? What are those orange pieces? I don't find green papayas, is there any substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  17. ur dad is arorable mandira:) my dad donno the difference between one dal from another so i cant even think of he making any suggestions when it comes to cooking;)
    never heard of banana & papaya combination but ur recipe is making me try it soon but the prob is i dont get any raw papaya in my part of the world:(

    ReplyDelete
  18. sandeepa8:12 AM

    Looks so good Mandira. I don't think I have never had this. Got to try

    ReplyDelete
  19. Banana with papaya rather unusual to me, pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, that looks really delicious Mandira!! I love your dad's addition too. I have never made anything with papaya, so this would make a great start. BTW your chapatis look sooo soft and yummy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very different! I've only eaten raw papaya in a thai salad (which I absolutely love). This is on my list for next week's cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. banana and papaya curry looks delicious. this is a new dish to me and will try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. a very different kind of recipe. looks very yum and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Banana still in their skins. I must try this sometime. It looks lovely. My winter project is learning to cook curries properly

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow...that looks real tempting..very nice picture...and very unusal combi...thanks for sharing...and thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mandira, I can literally taste it...and yes, your dad is soo right...the boras certainly are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My mother-in-law makes this sometimes...I am just not used to sweet bananas in a curry, but I know they love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks delicious. Even though i have never had a dish with skin on. When you have the dish do u eat the skin or remove tgem

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all for your comments. I have been incredibly busy, hence am not able to answer individually. This curry is so simple, I always thought it was a common recipe! :)

    The JFI:Banana Roundup will be posted over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hurray to food savvy dads!! Mandira I am super late but please accept my entry for JFI. Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would papaya, but not with banana..have to try this..looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow Mandira, that looks delicious... it is a flavor combo that I've never tasted! Well, dad knows best, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Never thought banana and papaya would go together in a curry ... wow! this looks really good. My mom used to cook unripe papaya with coconut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm very new to the blog world. Came across your blog & really enjoyed to see your wonderful recipes.

    Beautiful picture! This curry sounds very unusal. Will love to try out this combo. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous1:35 PM

    I was looking for exactly this recipe and phew, I got it here. I've tried it also today and it was awsome, absolutely delicious. I forgot to put the raw banana on time but it still came out well.

    Many thanks for the recipe friend.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Ashwini, Seena, Cooking Ninja, Sig, Anitha , I enjoyed this a lot too...

    Anon - I'm glad it came out well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...