September 04, 2007

Dahi Chicken (Chicken in yogurt sauce)


The long weekend was just what I needed. Relax, rejuvenate and get away from the routine of the busy week. And after long conversation with my mom (and getting recipes for JFI: Banana!), I was in a mood for some Bengali meal. It was during this time, I came across the recipe for Chicken Dahi Bahar in Barnamala. The recipe was similar to our sunday chicken curry which I have blogged about before, yet just a little different.

So I tweaked it, like I usually do, and set to work. Along with Pita and salad, it was a great meal fit for lazy afternoons!

Ingredients:
(adapted from Dahi Chicken Bahar)

1 ½ pound chicken (I used a mix of chicken breasts and thighs)

2 medium Onions - chopped
2 tbspoon Ginger paste
1 tbspoon Garlic Paste
1 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt - whisked
4 medium Tomatos - chopped
2-3
Green Chillies - slit

1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder

1 1/2 tspoon corriander powder

1 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste

2-3 tbspoon oil
Bunch of cilantro leaves - chopped

Method:

Mix chicken with half turmeric, ground pepper, yogurt and set it aside for 2-3 hours to marinate.

Heat oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds and green chillies. Then add onion and garlic. Saute on low to medium heat for 8-10 minutes.

Add the corriander & turmeric powder, and saute till it all mixes well together. Then add the Chicken yogurt mix & salt. Cook on medium heat stirring at regular intervals for 12-15 minutes.

When the oil separates, add 2/3 cup water, and the tomatoes. Let it cook on medium low heat for another 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.


Sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve hot, with rice, naan, chapati or paratha.

22 comments:

  1. I can smell it from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira, is this sour or is it just a kurma-like taste? Because when I add yoghurt, even fresh, it turns out sour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking chicken dish Mandira. You are on to the JFI now, where is my RCI K stuff?!;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira, Chicken in yogurt looks doubly delicious. Lovely meal for a lazy afternoon definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah lovely looking dish....so as Asha asked...where is for me?..:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken in yogurt looks impeccable! Loved the recipe, my only doubt about this is....is'int that too soury soury? LMK

    ReplyDelete
  7. good chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last pic is very colourful, with the Piat and your very nice red placemat

    ReplyDelete
  9. The presentation looks so yummy. wish to have that plate just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what? I too made a yogurty version of chicken yesterday...yours looks absolutely delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this recipe. Hv bookmarked it for weekend lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I am kinda out of idea for cooking chicken, and you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to try this for the kids. It looks beautiful, Mandira! Really lovely photos. Glad you had a good relaxing long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am yet to try chicken in yogurt sauce. I'm curious like Sra. Does it turn out sour?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Jyothsna!

    Sra this definitely has a tangy taste, but not overpowering. I actually liked it!

    Asha RCI entry coming up soon! So good to see you, hope you're doing well after the surgery.

    ISG the weather was perfect to laze. I love lazy afternoon lunches since I don't get to do it very often!

    Srivalli just let me know when you're coming and I will have some ready for you:)

    Padma this definitely has tangy notes, and I actually enjoyed the spicy and tangy curry. You can adjust the yogurt and tomatoes according to your taste.

    Thanks Happy Cook!

    Sandeepa thanks. The plate is a gift from a friend and you are sure to see it again:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Kribha

    Sunita Do post your version. I would love to try yours too!

    PoojaV thanks, do let me know how it turns out.

    Anh thanks, I usually end up making a simple curry, decided to try something different this time. Do try.

    Linda thanks, this weekend is the annual book festival near the farmers market, so it won't be a lazy weekend ;)

    Cynthia the yogurt does make it a tangy curry, but like I told sra, it's not overpowering or too sour. Do try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful chicken recipe it looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful pictures! i think it would taste good with rotis.
    i am a newcomer. please do visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mandira,
    this curry looks so yummy. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. chicken in yogurt looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey! jst checked ur site and the dahi chicken dish. it sounds real easy n good to taste. but am allergic to tomatoes. so can u tell me an alternative for Ts pls...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tina - I would suggest omitting the tomatoes. If you want, you can add in a little bit of tamarind to accentuate the flavor. Do let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...