September 24, 2007

Huli Avalakki (Tamarind Pohe)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've spent the past few days agonizing over what to make for RCI-Karnataka, wondering which one of my favorite dishes to make. My mom had some neat ideas, as did a cousin who even emailed me a few recipes. In the end, I settled on one that's never been a favorite - tamarind and jaggery flavored pohe (flattened rice). I figured this is as good a time as any to see if my tastes have changed...and what do you know, they have :) I know my mom will be surprised to hear this, but huli avalakki is something I'm going to try more often now.

Asha - thanks for hosting this!

Ingredients:
Flattened rice/pohe - 2 cups
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
Jaggery - 1/4 cup
Coconut - 1 tsp (for garnishing)
Cilantro - for garnishing
Curry leaves
Mustard seeds
Urad Dal
Red chili
Asafoetida
Peanuts, cashewnuts, almonds

Method:
Boil water and make a thick paste of the jaggery. Keep it aside with the tamarind paste.
Soak the pohe/flattened rice in warm water for 2-3 minutes and then drain the water away. Then mix the tamarind and jaggery paste to pohe and let it soak for 15 min (in the U.S., the flattened rice is thin and cooks in minutes).

Temper oil with mustard seeds, asafoetida, urad dal, red chili, and curry leaves. Add the crushed peanuts, cashews and almonds and cook for 2-3 minutes.

To this, add the soaked pohe and some salt and mix well. Garnish with shredded coconut and cilantro and serve hot (with spicy potato chips?).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is our entry to RCI:Karnataka hosted by dear Asha of Foodie's Hope. The event was started by Lakshmi of Veggie Corner.

19 comments:

  1. have to keep in mind that poha is a breakfast option as well. keep forgetting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamarind and jaggery, love the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice entry for RCI Karnataka! Avalakki is widely used in karnataka! Huli avalakki is a very common breakfast in many households! It is a very kannadiga recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pic looks nice and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Aswin, so great to see a wonderful and very Kannadiga recipe. Huli Avalakki looks delicious!:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aswin I taste this at pot luck lunch and it was amazingly tangy bcoz of tamarind, I loved it then and love to see the same here. Nice entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this recipe sounds very interesting. I think I have had this at a potluck.
    looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aswin,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and droppingn your sweet comment over there...hey this recipe is a good entry for the event...Actually i just came some 10days back and now mysister has came to my home for week stay so littlebit busy with niece all...Would participate in short...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great one, Aswin! Yummy! Reminds me of the days in good old Bangalore :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, your picture looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huli avalakki looks delicious, Mandira! A very authentic and unique Kannadiga recipe for the RCI.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Aswin! I read this three times (tamarind poha!?) before I saw this was a post from your corner. I have to admit tamarind poha (the name) doesn't rock my world, but the finished dish sure looks great. Perhaps I need to expand my horizons. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mandira,

    Huli avalakki looks yummy...I am a new blogger. I have sent a recipe to JFI-Banana. I hope you received it.

    Vijaya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not know much dishes to do with poha. This one is nice to know. Will try it sometime. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mandira,
    Tamarind poha looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huli avalakki looks so tasty. It has been a long time since I made it, thanks for reminding me to cook with poha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for the comments! Like I said, this was a first for me and it turned out much better than I expected :)

    Asha - if not for the event, I don't think I'd have tried this out!

    musical - glad to hear it reminded you of bangalore! For me, chow-chow bath brings back memories of many an evening spent outside an SLV in Banashankari II stage :)

    Linda - I agree, "tamarind pohe" sure doesn't sound appealing. But give it a try when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. mandira....The poha looks verey delectable.....Nice one dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aswin seeing te picture itself, I am feeling like eating tamarind Poha, thanks for sharing a Kati meeti recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...