September 29, 2007

Instant Sambar!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The last time I wrote about whipping up a dish or two using instant food mixes, Linda of Out of the Garden suggested I should make it a series. So here's the next post in the "quick fix" series - instant sambar using MTR's Sambar Paste!

With the MTR sambar paste, all you need to do is boil toor dal and a vegetable or two that you like in sambar (I'm partial to vendakkai (okra) sambar!). You don't even need to add tadka (the paste includes mustard seeds, cumin seeds, etc.). Boil water, add the sambar paste and the cooked vegetable, and after about 5-6 minutes, mix in the boiled toor dal. Let this cook for 5-6 minutes more, and add fresh chopped cilantro before serving.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Compared to the Priya's readymade Sambar that I tried the last time, this one is much, much better. The next time you're in a time crunch, give this a try.

11 comments:

  1. Mandira n' Aswin, is this a new product? Never seen the paste before. Should be good for a quick fix, especially when you want sambar with idlis for b'fast :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one...I always use this to make Sambar, even if I have time :D...MTR made me lazy to cook sambar in traditional way..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aswin, I am happy to see you are going to make this a regular thing! Thanks for sharing this one. Sambhar of all kinds is my absolute fav -- often on weekends I cook the dal ahead and have it in the fridge in convenient containers. I remember one time Nupur recommended something from MTR for a ready-made seasoning as well. I'll look for a packet of the MTR sambhar paste for the days I don't feel like dealing with straining the tamarind ;) BTW have you guys been over to Ypsilanti Indian grocery yet? As I recall they had some nice fresh veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE MTR Rasam pd. This paste, I have yet to try. Looks great!:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. musical - some grocery stores don't carry this, but it has been around for more than a couple of years now. And yes, it is a quick fix!

    apple - I hear you. After this, it will be hard to go back to making sambar from scratch.

    linda - which store in ypsilanti? we've been going to a store nearby (foods of india). As for fresh veggies, the farmer's market is just terrific :)

    Asha - this one's better than the powder, I think. Let us know if you try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if i could get it here i would buy few packets and keep it for emergency,

    ReplyDelete
  7. This surely seems handy. THink I've seen it in my part of the world too. And if I like it, I mayn't make sambhar with fresh masal again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have used this one but somehow never adapted to the regular cooking but for a auick fix its really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i use MTR sambar powder and rasam powder. should try this next time. the picture looks inviting!
    mandira,thank you for visitng my blog! hope you have received my entry for JFI - Banana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've tried this paste. For a quick fix it's good. It's cloudy here and your bowl of sambar is totally tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The store I went to was Yogi Grocery -- I don't recall the exact address but it was at the junction of two main drags, in one of those strip malls. You certainly can't beat fresh veggies from the farmer's market! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...