September 13, 2007

Masala Eggplant Sabzi

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's time for the midweek post, so that means the recipe has to be quick, fast, filling and delicious :)

I have been trying to buy enough veggies to last for a week so that I can make a trip to the Farmer's Market. But I always buy too much. But it is hard to resist when there is fresh karela (bittergourd), lauki (bottlegourd), okra, eggplant , fresh greens, beans and many more stores in rows. I inevitably buy more than we need.

While buying lauki from a old local farmer last week, we got talking. He told me about his wife who is suffering from Parkinson's disease and that he has taken over the chores of the house including cooking. We traded some recipes, and I couldn't help thinking how personal and touching this experience was for me rather than just going to a store.

Back to the recipe, this is a simple eggplant recipe that I've tried with and without tomatoes. What I like about this recipe is that the eggplant doesn't turn mushy. It's simple and goes well with rotis and parathas.

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant
1.5 in piece of ginger - chopped
1 small onion - chopped
1 small tomato - chopped
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and chilli powder to taste

Method:
Cut the eggplants in medium cubes and soak it in water for 2-5 minutes.

Heat olive oil and temper it with cumin seeds. Add ginger and saute. Then add the chopped onions saute. Once they begin turning brown, add the tomatoes, coriander and turmeric powder.

Then add the eggplant and chilli powder. Mix well and let it cook on closed lid for 4-5 minutes. Then add salt and cook for another 3-4 minutes or till the eggplant is cooked. (Add little water if needed).

Garnish with cilantro (optional) and serve warm.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

25 comments:

  1. Looks yum! Anything with Eggplants pleases me!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a winner of a dish! Am gonna' try this :). I love eggplants :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Asha said, anything eggplant pleases me too! I like that with rotis specially

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira, eggplants are my fav too, can't resist them especially in a farmer's market. looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like making personal connections. I hope that the farmer's wife is not in too much pain :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks yummy just had bandekayi palya yesterday ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tasty indeed, I just finished a batch of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love eggplants - cooking and eating. I make something similiar for rotis - except that I add amchur and use the microwave to parboil.

    I agree with you, this is indeed "quick, fast, filling and delicious".

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice looking sabzi, fresh eggplants always fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i recently posted an eggpland recipe too.. its quite similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks tasty Mandira . You get karela at the Farmer's Market too ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks devine! Great photo, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks really delicious.
    Can just imagine eating it with a chapathi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very delicious. I have mailed you my entry for JFI-Banana. Pls have a look at http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2007/09/banana-stem-raitha-jfi-banana.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. That really looks yummy, I only like certain eggplant dishes, and this is one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yum and great. Eggplant, this veggie is my favourite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh tell me about the trip to the Farmer's Market, last week was my first time and i sure couldn't resist buying all the veggies, my fridge is almost bursting at the seams..hehe! I bought eggplants too so this is one recipe I'm surely gonna try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Asha I'm not a big fan of eggplant and I really enjoyed the Sabzi.

    Musical - thanks, do let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks Kalyn :)

    Padma this is perfect with eggplant sabzi.

    ISG I make only two or three kinds of eggplants and this is one of my favorite.

    Cynthia - One thing I have learnt is that they are a resilient community. The didn't seem sad while narrating the story, very matter of fact infact.

    Thanks Roopa Bet that was delicious too.

    Thanks Sra

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lakshmi that sounds delicious too. I cook it on the stove because I love the intact small pieces :)

    Thanks Sharmi.

    Nags, will check out your recipe too. Thanks.

    Sandeepa - karala too. I have stopped getting it from the Indian store.

    Thanks Veggie Cookster

    Happy Cook you are right. This is the perfect sabzi with chapati or roti.

    Timepass - thanks for the entry.

    Sig I'm like you, there are only 2-3 eggplant recipes that I make and this is one of my favorites :)

    Thanks Jyothi

    Namratha the joys of Farmer's market... I have been meaning to do a post before it becomes too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know how I missed this one Mandira. YUM :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Linda, it did turn out good :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like very easy dish, I am putting together a menu for lunch box chapati + subzi + curd rice + salad - everything done within 35 - 40 mins in the morning. Great addition for that... Thanks for the recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Shree, glad it came out well. The lunch menu sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:22 PM

    nice recipe, try adding a potato into the mix

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...