September 09, 2007

Spicy Beetroot Soup


I have not been a great fan of beetroots. There, I've said it aloud! It's not that I don't eat it; I've had them in salads in restaurants. But somehow, I've never tried making anything at home with beets.
So I don't know what I was thinking, but when I saw a bunch of fresh beetroots at the farmer's market, I decided to pick it up and give it a try. But what would I make? Ofcourse soup I thought and a spicy soup... surely that will be a good trial. The ingredients were simple ... beetroots cooked with onions, ginger and garlic. Topped with fresh cheese and cilantro, this soup certainly won our hearts and... our taste buds.

Ingredients:
4 medium beets -grated coarsely
1/2 red onion - chopped finely
1 large clove garlic - chopped

small cube ginger - chopped
1/2 green chilli - chopped
3 1/2 cups water
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tspoon cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and

chopped cilantro - for garnish


Method:
Heat the chopped beetroots, onion, ginger, garlic and chilli with water in a large pot. Keep it on medium low and cook it with closed lid for 15-20 minutes or till the beetroot is cooked and soft.

Puree it in batches in a blender till smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.

Top it with cheese and cilantro and serve warm.


Some lemon juice would also work well.


This is my entry to the Annual Super Soup Challenge hosted by Running with Tweezers.

25 comments:

  1. Nice recipe and lovely picture..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture Mandira, I love beets just for the color of the dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely color... i like the sweet taste beets give out! nice recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice contrast..deep pink and white...loved the garnish on top too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Beets, never used Cheese with it. Looks yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks super thick! Nice pix

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pic!
    I will be trying this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to add... I'vesent u my entry for JFI. Please check your spam folder. That's where it will be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandira the color is so divine....

    ReplyDelete
  10. heavvy dekhte hoyeche :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto for me! Beetroots work for only when they are spiced up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talking of impulses, I too bought some ...but they never made it to the pot...we had them as salads...your soup does look 'souper' indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the picture and the recipe. adding cheese to beets is new to me. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mandira the bowl of soup looks inviting! lovely picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The colour and cheese crown make me drowsy Mandira. Beautiful presentation. Such a healthy way to consume this rich veggie. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, okay, no need to sell it so hard :) Like you, I don't really like beets but you are enticing me to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful colours.
    I have to admit i am not a beetroot fan.
    But the soup does look welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We grow beetroots, but we don't really eat them daily. Once in a while, we juice them with carrots and apples. Tastes nice, really. I also use them for chutney. Lovely recipe you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now THIS is a beet recipe I can get cozy with. Never much of a beet fan myself, I think they're best when given the savory treatment. Easy and attractive, Mandira. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Seena

    Sig Thanks. I haven't tried cooking beets at home. But I really enjoyed it. Am going to try some desi dish next.

    KS&WRH thanks and welcome to ahaar. I hope you will keep visiting.

    Nags Thanks. I'm surely making it again during winter :)

    Rajitha the cheese and cilantro really brought out the flavor of the soup. Thanks.

    Asha Try it with cheese. You'll love it.

    Sra As I have written earlier too, I don't like straining my soups. I leave the veggies in there. I love the chunky, thick taste, then I know I'm getting my vitamins ;)

    TBC your entry landed in my inbox alright. Thanks for checking.

    Padma Thanks :)

    Sandeepa I cracked up reading your comment. You sound exactly like my friends ;) that's because you are!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE beetroot - and soup is an excellent way to incorporate that beautiful vegetable. Thank you for a lovely recipe, Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Great soup! Thank you for this recipe! Try also new beet recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Great recipe! I'll add it to my favorite soups!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...