October 29, 2007

Turkish Omelette


Recently we went to Cafe Zola for our weekend brunch where I tried Turkish eggs. It was an unusual combination of spinach, feta, eggs, and olives. I was intrigued. So when Kanchana announced Omelette as the theme for Weekend Breakfast Blogging, I searched for Turkish Omelette and came across the recipe in Almost Turkish Recipes blog. It is called kaygana and the recipe dates back to the Ottoman empire.

There are various ways of making Kaygana - savory ones with vegetables and sweet ones with honey.

I tried the similar recipe on Burcu's blog and reduced the flour in the Kaygana to one tspoon for every couple of eggs and added chopped onions as well. The combination of onions, cheese and parsley in the omelette was delicious and flavorful.

Ingredients: Serves 2
(Recipe Source: Almost Turkish Recipes)
4 eggs
2 tspoon flour
2 tbspoon water or milk (I added milk)
1 tspoon olive oil
bunch of parsley - finely chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 medium onion - finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Method:
Mix the flour with the eggs. Whisk well. Then add the milk and whisk some more.

Then add parsley, feta, onions, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to this mix and stir till it all mixes well together.

Now heat oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, add the mix and make a round omelette, much like a dosa. Cook till it is brown on each side and serve warm.


This was our weekend breakfast and our entry to Kanchana's WBB#16: Omelette.

18 comments:

  1. kaygana looks nice mandira....Nice entry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sun dried tomatoes tastes good in here. That is how my local bakery serves 'em for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Kaygana, Mandira! They serve something similar at a local Lebanese cafe'! i am not too fond of eggs, and would have omlettes only when they have some flour and lots of condiments! This is one such lovely example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very good, eggs in any form are a welcome... and i have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egg dosa with Feta!! I can't wait to try it! Looks delicious!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm going to love this...thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. M,

    Cafe Zola is so nice huh! We went there for our 'date night' and had a nice dinner of lemon pasta, antipasto, and wine! Was delicious.

    This turkish omelette sounds so great. I am a huge fan of feta cheese, and I like the addition of a little flour to give it some body.

    Thanks for a wonderful entry!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intresting info and beautiful omelette. I can imagine it's taste with spinach and feta. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved that name. I have a similar thing in my blog looooong back, but mine needed mor flour

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the name and photo os turkish omelette

    ReplyDelete
  11. yumm omelet looks delecious

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever had feta and olives in an omelette, this is just my kinda recipe! Looks great Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks enough to take as BF..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm! Feta, olives, parsley! Yum! I want this now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Raks- Thanks!

    Suganya- Sun dried tomatoes will be delicious too! Thanks for the idea.

    Musical - thanks. Omelette is my favorite weekend breakfast, this was a great variation! And I am sure to make it again.

    Cinnamon me too! I bet you'll love this one.

    Asha Egg dosa indeed! Cheese and herbs give it the flavor. It's delicious. :)

    SunitaThanks!

    Kanch- Dinner at Cafe Zola, wow, we have to try it. This came out great, the cheese and the herbs give it loads of flavor. Thanks for hosting WBB.

    Kribha- I didn't try it with spinach, but the Cafe Zola brunch eggs has spinach, and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sandeepa it does call for more flour, I reduced the amount to my taste. Will check your entry!

    Thanks Padma, Sagari!

    Sig I am sure you will enjoy the combination! Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Seena Thanks :)

    Kaykat Do try this, it's quick and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey this is a reall delishious looking omelette and with feta cheese that have to be delish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great...eggs are a must for breakfast and this is going to be a gud variation!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...